Dogs attacked our hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kada6305, Aug 29, 2014.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Just saved on my red sex links life...Our two dalmatians love the chickens and when in the field never pay any mind to them. Our lab mix on the other hand we only had him for a year and is curious and will be relaxing one minute then go after a chicken the other. Our Dalmatians were raised since 6 months with chickens so they never hurt them. Well I let the dogs outside in their fenced in area (chickens are free ranged) then go to get some treats to feed the chickens. Come outside all three are hovered over a red sex link who is on her back, and I assume at this moment she is dead. I hurry and gather the dogs up put them in their crates inside the house. Meanwhile our rooster is going crazy. I went over to her, she was laying on her back, and her head/neck was wet, I assume from our lab. I thought she was dead until I saw her chest moving up and down from her breathing. So carefully I turn her over and put her on her feet. After about 5 minutes she is walking around and even eating some treats and concerned on how to get over to her flock. I guess being on her back caused her to go unconscious? I've heard of hanging them upside down by their feet does, but not just laying them on their back. Anyway we let her with rest of her flock, giving everyone treats so they would leave her alone and not make a big deal about her almost dieing. She goes to her favorite hiding spot and is just relaxing. I am sure she is scared after the ordeal. I checked her over and as far as I can tell no broken bones. She isn't bleeding. It looks like they just pulled feathers from her butt so I put some blu knot on her. When i went outside one of my Dalmatians had a mouth full of her feathers. But my questions is how long will it take her to go with rest of the flock? I have to figure a way to keep them from flying over the dog fence, Clipping wings isn't an option because they fly to get away from other predators.

2. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Okay so today isn't so good. We have a small run connected to the coop but let them free range during the day. She has been standing under the coop today, there is a small gap to let them chill out under the coop in some shade. Well she's been hiding out there all dya, not coming out to free range the 5 acres, got her to eat some oatmeal, but wasn't pecking at it as fast. I don't want to cull her but I also oont want her to suffer. Any suggestions on what to do? How will I know it is time to cull her? How long should I give her to be normal again. She is just walking and doing everythign else so slow. As far as I can tell she didn't lay any egg today, either.

3. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    After dog attacks chickens are terrified of everything. Like my hen was attacked and she didn't lay eggs for a week or two until her tail feathers came back. And she didn't trust my dog for months which she used to jump on his back and tool bathes by him when he laid in the sand and everything. Your hen should be fine but traumatized for a while. And for keeping your chickens out of the dog pen I would run chicken wire over the top.

4. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Today she chilled out in the coop a bit, laid an egg and is now foraging around in the field. She is doing much better :)

5. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Yay. I'm glad she recovered.

6. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I think she may have injured her legs she is walking but very slow. when you touch bottom of her feet she doesnt wrap her feet around yours finger like the others. But I am giving her some more time to get over it, it was a big ordeal for her. She may still be in shock. But other hens arent picking on her. Our rooster going over to her and scratches up some food for her.

7. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    We left her with everyone else and nobody was picking on her. She was stressed when we tried to separate her. I checked for eggs at 6:30 and she was still alive and moving. But I usually dont let them out until after 7:30 because of predators. Well I fell asleep until 2..I opened up the coop and she was dead. I think it was the ducks. We house the chickens and ducks together The ducks get the floor of the coop and we have a second floor with perches and such the chickens get. Well I think she injured her leg and she couldn't get on top so she stayed on the floor but near pox, our rooster. There were feathers missing from her. But there was no blood so I dont think it was the chickens. I'm trying hard not to blame myself, but IF I wouldn't have fallen asleep or if I just would have let them out at 6:30 she would still be alive. We were already going to hatch out babies so we will have to replace her. Any ideas on how to introduce just 1 chicken? this would be easier if our sussex would go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by