Dogs attacking my chickens . . . again

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mortimer, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Mortimer

Mortimer Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    SW of Wichita, KS
    Hello all, hope everyone is doing well, been awhile since I posed here.

I'm in my office on my computer tonight and hear a ruckus out by the coop. We have been having problems with coyotes on and off so I grab my Winchester 69 and head out the door with a flashlight. Yeah, it's only a .22LR but I can shoot the tail off a mouse with it.

Low and behold, there's one with a chicken in his mouth, staring right back at me, eyes glowing in the flashlight. I shoot and he drops, chicken runs off squawking (unfortunately, not likely she will survive).

I hear some more ruckus in the coop, and another one runs out, chasing after a rooster - except this one isn't a coyote, it's a yellow lab. I shoot and drop this one as well.

Turns out the first one I shot was not a coyote as I first thought (it was dark), but a husky with tags. Second one is a yellow lab, also with tags.

Dogs have been just as big of a problem as coyotes here as well. There's a big new housing development going up less than a mile from my house. Most of the time, they run off when I head outside - this is the first time I've killed any.

So, my question now is -- what do I do? We are outside city limits. Should I call the sheriff? Animal control? Do I need to/should I report this?

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    im not sure of the laws where you are, but here in Ohio the owners of the dogs are liable for damages done. we are allowed to shoot any animal attacking our livestock.

i would also put a strand of electric around your coop, just in case another shows up.

2 people like this.
  3. Mortimer

May 6, 2008
    SW of Wichita, KS
    It's my understanding that is the law in Kansas as well, you're allowed to shoot pretty much anything that threatens your livestock, assuming you are outside of city limits where you wouldn't get in trouble for discharging a firearm.

I decided to call 911 a few moments ago and reported it - sheriff is on the way, I will update with what they say, assuming they don't take me away in cuffs :)

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Regardless of the law the dog owners will likely give you a hard time.I would dispose of them.I never give back roamers dead or alive,because most times the owners act like fools.Best wishes whatever you do.

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    yes, please keep me updated. ill keep my fingers crossed for you on "no cuffs" [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry about your hens.It is a shame people let their pets roam.Best wishes dealing with sheriff and dog owners.Maybe they will just take the bodies to them,but not give your name.They should keep you private for safety.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I agree with Mattemma - ask the sheriff to keep your name and location confidential. You won't get any compensation for the damage to your birds and coop, but the owners will hopefully not find out who you are and potentially harass you. You were well within your right to protect your flock, and I hope you don't hesitate to do it again. But maybe next time, just take them and bury them somewhere far away...

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    ive never had troubles with the dog owners after they realize that they are liable for damages. -but i dont know if its the same in every state. i have never went after damages, but in Ohio it usually doesn't have to go to court from what ive been told.

of course im also thought of as crazy by the neighbors, when my dogs bark i walk out with a gun most of the time. i dont believe in concealed carry, i want people to see that the gun is there.

1 person likes this.
  9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The problem I could see is, that people who move to "live in the country" in their big new housing developments are still city people, and they still act and think like city people. They don't get it that their dogs should still stay on their own property. They don't get that in the country, animals tend to have a different place in the world. Where I live - true farm country (20 miles to town, and over a mile between neighbors) - it's understood that if my dog is killing your chickens, you will kill my dog and I will apologize for the damage and offer to make things right. I will not hold a grudge because I know it was my responsibility to keep my dog home. This is how it works.

ETA - Hopefully, when their dogs start disappearing, the people who are letting their dogs run will get the hint and keep them contained.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Mortimer

May 6, 2008
    SW of Wichita, KS
    The Sheriff just left. They were completely understanding and told me I was well within my rights for what I did. In fact, he took one look at the dog laying in the run, with a mouth full of feathers, chuckled and said "You can't get any more incriminating than that!"

He spent 30 mins or so here, took a few photos (which I had already done as well), took down my contact info and left.

The owner's name and phone number were on both dogs' collars. The officer said he would contact his supervisor and ask what to do next -- I told him my preference would be to have animal control come out and pick up the dogs in the morning, and notify the owner then. He totally agreed and understood with me wanting to remain anonymous, so hopefully this turns out OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by