Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! UGH!!

TGarcia

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Texas
somad.gif
I left the other day to go pick up my kids from school and stop by the store, and when I got home 1 of my dogs were IN the chicken coop, and the other dog was standing right outside the coop with Mr. Roo in his mouth. They had chewed completely through the chicken wire and had a hole large enough for my son to crawl through.

Needless to say.....after I went on a wild woman frenzy chasing dogs around the yard with a broom in my hand (wishing I had a baseball bat at the time!!) I ended up with BOTH my roosters dead. 1 of my hens were bitten pretty bad. I finally found her hiding under the shed and had to drag her out. I doctored her up and she seems to be doing good. No signs of infection and the skin is healing nicely. She is still laying eggs but refuses to come out of the coop. Can't say I blame her after being scared out of her mind and attacked.

I am really torn at this point, trying to figure out what made my dogs do that. They have been around the chickens ever since they were babies. And to chew through the WIRE???? They are both 1 year old pittbulls and have NEVER shown any signs of aggression at all. I was so upset... and now AFRAID they may try and do it again. I am seriously to the point of wanting to get rid of the dogs. I know that day if I would have had my husband's truck there, they would have been gone that day.

Anyone have any suggestions......I love my dogs.....but my chickens come first. LOL It just really scares me to think that they were capable of doing something like that. I know the stereotype that pittbulls carry. It just makes me wonder if they could do that.....are they capable of flipping out on one of my kids. That may sound like I'm over-reacting in a way. I know animals can be unpredictable and have natural instincts. This just seemed uncalled for in all aspects if you ask me. It's one thing for a dog to run up to the fence and bark like crazy. But they literally chewed THROUGH the wire.......Makes me sick even thinking about it.

In your heart you have already decided the dogs got to go, they will do it again if given a chance and you know it, you just need to get you head around the idea, I'm sorry for what happened

Last edited:
The dogs are growing up and their prey drive is kicking in as they are maturing. Also you have pack dynamics to deal with because they will egg each other on in a pack. Maybe try getting down to one dog.

I'm so sorry this happened.

Last edited:
If you can't trust your dogs with your children, if you have even a second of doubt because of this incident, you need to rehome them. Period.

Dogs are dogs. Some have a higher prey drive. Pack mentality thrown in and they were unsupervised to have fun with the feathery play things. I don't ever let my dogs near my birds. even through a fence if I'm not there. I know our mastiff thinks it's fun to play with them. and even the rotti , pictured here <--------, who loves my chicks, is not left alone with them.

However, I have never doubted my dogs around my kids. If I did, the dogs would be gone.

Sounds like they got bored. Our German Shepherd got bored twice and killed a duck and almost another. They no longer run together. Do your dogs get any exercise other than just running in the yard? They also need to know where they stand in the pack (at the bottom, kids way above). Your kids should be feeding them and they shouldn't eat before being given permission.

I thought this Dog Whisperer was an informative one: http://www.hulu.com/watch/72119/dog-whisperer-hyde-vada-and-nacho I just wish they'd adressed the ducks and the dogs.

Good luck with your pets.

Thanks.....I agree with the egging one another on thing. I've noticed when 1 runs to check something out, the other one is not to far behind.

They are both 1 year old pittbulls and have NEVER shown any signs of aggression at al

I had a friend with a chow that showed no signs of aggression...until it took a chunk out of her husband's backside.

I refuse to own anything that can take chunks out of me.​

Quote:
I am sure that there are people on this board who will speak up for pit-bulls but I am not one of them.

They are pit-bulls and therefore unpredictable and aggressive. Two characteristics I do not look for in dogs. Yes, they will most likely do this again - now that they know how fun it is. And yes, your children might be at risk. With pit-bulls you yourself might be at risk - especially since you have two.

I know that with proper training, control methods etc ... that many people find pits to be perfectly lovely pets. The question is, do you have the time to continually reinforce the appropriate training and behavior?

They are wonderful with my kids and any other kids. Like I said, they have never been aggressive toward anyone. If they HAD, YES they would have been gone immediately. They do get lots of exercise and have a huge backyard as well.

I can understand their interest in the chickens.....but to chew through the fence. It just seems more like INTENT to get them...instead of curiosity. I dunno....for this to happen just infuriates me.

In my opinion, very easy to solve. Install a hot wire fence with a few lines at dog height. Our coop doesn't have electric so we purchased a solar unit, and although more expensive, it is working great. Both our dogs got shocked two times and now show the chicken yard extreme respect! In fact our German Shepherd now goes INTO the coop with me and will just sit there watching the chickens (on the other side of the wire). It seems getting shocked made him look at the chickens in a whole new light.
idunno.gif
I certainly would not let him in with them, but prior to getting shocked if he got in the coop he went nuts. IF a child gets shocked it is scary but will not injure the child so no need to panic about that. In any case, this worked wonders for us, plus I have the added security of knowing if other dogs come on the property (we are out in the boonies) I don't have to worry about them either. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom