Dogs & ducks/ chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ASHMBHJ, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ASHMBHJ

ASHMBHJ New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    I have a 10 year old schnoodle that HATES* our 6 month old Pekin ducks. (We have 6). He also hates our two year old Teddy Bear Hamster & he hated our 6 previous hens(a weasel got to them, but we are getting more). He can tolerate them, until I have to go in their pen to change water & such. What can we do?

2. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Some dogs can handle being around prey animals better than others.
    Unless you are willing to spend a significant amount of time training the dog, keep them separated at all times.

3. ASHMBHJ

ASHMBHJ New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    There's no way to keep them separated. They ducks & chickens have a fence, he's never hurt one (hell, the ducks are bigger than him) but where Mom goes, he goes.

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I don't understand.
    Are the birds in a fenced pen?
    If so, why is the dog an issue?
    I am assuming you don't take the dog into the pen, correct?

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    By hate you mean what? He growls and tell them to stay away? Or is he full on charging them?

6. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

Train him to stay where you tell him to stay. Tell him to stay in a spot outside the pen while you are inside the pen. Release him from the stay command when you come out of the pen. If you can't do this then you need more basic training with him before you start allowing him near chickens.

7. ASHMBHJ

ASHMBHJ New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    He will bark, I think he is trying to corral them. He probably doesn't actually hate them, ha ha.

8. ASHMBHJ

ASHMBHJ New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    He has all basic training, except for lying down. Its too hard on his joints. I hope something works.

9. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Sounds like he is over aroused. Correct for aroused behavior (barking, staring, stiff body, alert ears). Reward for calm, relaxed behavior. Work on leash at his threshhold--the point where his behavior is just on the edge of being aroused. As it improves, gradually move closer or make the trigger more intense.

You mention he's trying to "corral them". Is he moving? Darting at them? I thought you said all he's doing is barking. Can you tell him to stay and will he do as you ask? A reliable stay around distractions is a basic obedience behavior.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by