Dogs eating chicken poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Willem81, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Willem81

Willem81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Thornton, Co
    I know this is only half way chicken related and will probably get a bump to move this to the "other animals section"

My dogs have been eating chicken poo and I had to give wormer to the dogs once already. Well this morning had the same thing happen again. Dog made a nasty mess in his kennel. [​IMG]

Any ideas on how to get the dogs to leave the poo alone beyond completely fencing off the part of the yard I want the chickens in?

Can dogs pick up any other bugs from the chickens beyond worms?

If I wormed two weeks ago and the dog got better from the treatment and is now sick again require another round of the worming meds?

Seems like the meds should have kept him healthy for a bit longer than two weeks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    My dog eats chicken poo and there's nothing I can do about it. It's disgusting, but dogs don't judge poo as bad, like we do. Since I feed my chickens and peas nothing but organic feed, plus they get bugs, fresh grass, etc., there doesn't seem to be a problem with it. I keep the flock and the dog's immune systems strong and healthy and their systems can take care of anything that comes around trying to afflict them.

If your chickens are not healthy, then it's probably best to concentrate on their health first, then your dog won't have a problem. But trying to keep the dog from eating their poo is like trying to prevent a chocolate freak from eating a handmade truffle.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, best to worm your chickens first, then follow up 10 days later to get the hatchlings. When that clears up, worm the dogs, then again in 10 days as with the chickens. By the way, ya know why dogs eat chicken poo? To get the taste of their butt outta their mouth, LOL. Think about that next time one licks you in the mouth...........Pop

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    It's nice to know that my crazy dog is not the only one that loves to eat chicken poo

5. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    You sure aren't the only one! All of mine think it's a great treat! I should just bag it and save money on dog treats at the store. They'd probably like that! [​IMG]

6. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    We often take our boxer to the "lake side park". It has a little pond occupied with ducks and geese with a walking track around it, playground, baseball fields, ect... We will go walk around the track a few times to get some exercise in. My dog will eat every fresh duck/goose poo that we walk by if I let him. Don't know why... I don't have my chickens yet so I don't know if he has an affinity for chicken poo or not. I guess time will tell...

7. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    You need to watch out for Coccidiosis. Thats probably even more important than the worms. All chickens carry Cocci, but most dont get sick bc they have built a resitance to it. If your dogs are near chickens at any time, not just eating the poo, they should be treated regularly. But worm as well.

I dont know of a way to stop them, it seems like it is a delicacy for them. [​IMG] Try leashing, bringing them out there, and teaching them the "leave it" command. It might take a while, but they should catch on eventually and when you let them out and yell "LEAVE IT!!" the door, hopefullly they will listen. [​IMG]
    Good luck!

8. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
    Coccidia is species specific and so are the worms thats in the poo, The dogs are actually benefitting from the probiotics in the droppings..

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have a house chicken and don't have to use diapers thank to the dogs super gross love of chicken poo! Make the best out of a yucky situation.

10. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    OMG! My dogs absolutely LOVE it. They especially like the ones that are the Cecal ones. They're favorite! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by