Dogs Eating Chicken Poop..Any deterent?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by littlekit, Nov 16, 2009.

1. littlekit

littlekit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    My 6 chickens are joyfully free-ranging in our yard and our two shelties are being wonderful - all are co-existing nicely so far.
    I'd rather they eat the poop than the chickens so I'm not complaining, but I thought I saw something about feeding
    chickens Ceyenne pepper for some reason, and I wondered if this or any other chicken food additive will help my
    dog lose interest in the buffet I have unwittingly provided.
    Anything help? Thanks for advice!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah....I've heard that too...about the pepper. I'll let you try it first and then let me know if it works...LOL!! [​IMG] My one dog doesn't touch the poo, but does go after their feed. The other though, walks around like she's at an all-you-can-eat buffet [​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I think the idea on the pepper is that because chickens can't detect spicy food, it won't hurt them (at least on the way in, not sure on the way out [​IMG]) but it will make the poop undesirable for the dogs to eat. I haven't tried it myself. My two dogs both feel like the PP's dog - that the backyard is an all you can eat buffet. However because they are both big wusses, who actually don't like to go outside much, we let them in and out for potty breaks and they don't spend too long out there to eat too much at any time. It grosses DH out more than me. I guess I figure if they find it tasty, that's their choice. And I don't mind that we almost never have to step in chicken poop on the back deck even though the chooks get up there several times a day [​IMG]. I'm just glad they don't roll in it, like I read of another dog doing on another thread.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    My chickens are in a closed pen, but when I come out, I have to fight my dog off my feet [​IMG] He likes those yummy little snacks!

5. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

On the other hand, you can now feed your doggy less food, and even eliminate the 'treats' from his diet....I would watch him/her carefully though, if the doggy starts making clucking noises and flapping his front legs while walking on his back two....you may have a problem, especially if he lays an egg!![​IMG]

6. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    My vet told me it was bad for the dog to be eating chicken poo. Sorry, he told me this a while ago and I don't recall the reason now. I think it was something about possibly getting a disease from organisms in the poo. Anywhoo, I'd love to know if the pepper works because we have to watch the puppy like a hawk to try to keep him from eating poo.

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:I know. I'd try the pepper thing, but unfortunately one of our dogs likes spicy food as well. [​IMG]

8. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Honestly, I don't think there is anything you can do about it, other than keep the dogs away from the poo. My dogs were forever getting into the cat box, and the only thing that kept them out of the diaper pail (we did cloth) was adding vinegar so that they couldn't smell the poo.

9. littlekit

littlekit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Well, I guess it's just how it is. I'll have to de-worm my chickens every 6 months I guess. Just to be safe?[​IMG]

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Reminds me once more why I never allow a dog to lick/kiss my face. You never know where that tongue or nose has been, but you can imagine. No wonder people get parasites and have them for years and even decades and still a majority of Americans think that all human parasite infestation stays south of the border!

Will be waiting to read the report of whether the cayenne pepper makes it thru the chook's system and into the poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by