Dogs Eating Chicken Poop..Any deterent?

littlekit

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Northern Virginia
My 6 chickens are joyfully free-ranging in our yard and our two shelties are being wonderful - all are co-existing nicely so far.
I'd rather they eat the poop than the chickens so I'm not complaining, but I thought I saw something about feeding
chickens Ceyenne pepper for some reason, and I wondered if this or any other chicken food additive will help my
dog lose interest in the buffet I have unwittingly provided.
Anything help? Thanks for advice!!!

sickbyc.gif
D.gif

Yeah....I've heard that too...about the pepper. I'll let you try it first and then let me know if it works...LOL!!
wink.png
My one dog doesn't touch the poo, but does go after their feed. The other though, walks around like she's at an all-you-can-eat buffet
sickbyc.gif

I think the idea on the pepper is that because chickens can't detect spicy food, it won't hurt them (at least on the way in, not sure on the way out
smile.png
) but it will make the poop undesirable for the dogs to eat. I haven't tried it myself. My two dogs both feel like the PP's dog - that the backyard is an all you can eat buffet. However because they are both big wusses, who actually don't like to go outside much, we let them in and out for potty breaks and they don't spend too long out there to eat too much at any time. It grosses DH out more than me. I guess I figure if they find it tasty, that's their choice. And I don't mind that we almost never have to step in chicken poop on the back deck even though the chooks get up there several times a day
big_smile.png
. I'm just glad they don't roll in it, like I read of another dog doing on another thread.

Last edited:
On the other hand, you can now feed your doggy less food, and even eliminate the 'treats' from his diet....I would watch him/her carefully though, if the doggy starts making clucking noises and flapping his front legs while walking on his back two....you may have a problem, especially if he lays an egg!!
lol.png

My vet told me it was bad for the dog to be eating chicken poo. Sorry, he told me this a while ago and I don't recall the reason now. I think it was something about possibly getting a disease from organisms in the poo. Anywhoo, I'd love to know if the pepper works because we have to watch the puppy like a hawk to try to keep him from eating poo.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything you can do about it, other than keep the dogs away from the poo. My dogs were forever getting into the cat box, and the only thing that kept them out of the diaper pail (we did cloth) was adding vinegar so that they couldn't smell the poo.

Reminds me once more why I never allow a dog to lick/kiss my face. You never know where that tongue or nose has been, but you can imagine. No wonder people get parasites and have them for years and even decades and still a majority of Americans think that all human parasite infestation stays south of the border!

Will be waiting to read the report of whether the cayenne pepper makes it thru the chook's system and into the poop.

Back
Top Bottom