Dogs eating chicken poop - now have tapeworms.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stokealini, Mar 15, 2013.

1. stokealini

stokealini Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Central NY
    So the question is twofold. We have plenty of wild and domesticated fowl around, so there is an abundance of chicken, duck and goose poop around. One of our dogs acts as if the chicken pasture is a buffet line, and grazes every time she is out there. How do I stop this behavior, and who do I treat and what with? I am sure the dog has tapeworms - little wiggling white bits in her stool are quite evident. Thanks for any input.

2. crazy4chickens5

crazy4chickens5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    NH
    Really it's not possible to stop without serious training. Dogs LOVE bird droppings for some reason of which I do not know. The only ways I try to stop it is sprinkling the droppings with hot peppers, like cayenne peppers. Also, the bitter animal spray works well. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your dog! :(
    -Kyle

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dogs cant get worms from chickens. If a chicken is infected with salmonella or camplobacteria, a dog could be infected ONLY if the chicken was infected. If a dog WAS infected with these bacteria from eating chicken feces, there's a risk that it could be passed to humans.
    See your vet and get some droncit/drontal for your dogs tapeworms.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. crazy4chickens5

May 26, 2012
    NH

Are you sure about that? As long as there was worms in the feces, then the dog can get it. That's at least what has happened in my experience, but I am surely not an expert! :)

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are different species of worms for both chickens and dogs.

6. crazy4chickens5

May 26, 2012
    NH
    Oh! I see. I was getting mixed up because I knew that coyotes can pass worms to dogs. I thought there was only a few types of worms! :) you learn something new everyday! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by