Dogs eating manure

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by starryhen, Jan 9, 2019.

1. starryhen

starryhen Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm trying to deter manure eating dogs - chicken, duck, horse. It's tiring to have to go around sprinkling everything with cayenne pepper. Has anyone experimented with nutritional alternatives with any success? I've had some success with increasing bone meal or protein (dogs are fed homemade food) but can't narrow down which. Increasing either has it's down side. Protein - hyper dogs, extra bone meal (phosphorus) can be dangerous for developing dogs. Feeding the chickens hot pepper is doable but only for them. Ducks can feel the burn and, of course, horses could. I wonder what cayenne or similar chilis do at the opposite end even if the hens eat it (they will). Do they also get burny bottoms?

SongBaby33 likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    What is your objection to the dogs eating the poop? Many animals do, or like your chickens, pick good partially digested morsels out of it. Poop is full of partially digested nutrition. I certainly am opposed to any human eating animal poop, but it is pretty common in the animal kingdom. If the dogs are eating so much it is affecting what else they eat that might be cause for concern.

Most diseases that can be spread by poop are pretty species specific. It is highly unlikely your dogs will pick up any diseases from the chickens. Certain parasites are more likely but if the chickens have them those parasites were in the environment to start with. Your dogs probably already have them just by being outside. It's about as likely the chickens got them from the dogs as the other way around. And both probably got them from the environment if they have any.

I'll admit I don't French kiss my dogs. If I did I might worry more about where their tongues had been.

Sorry about that last joke, I couldn't resist, but I do think you are probably worrying about something that isn't a big deal.

Perris, alexa009, Mimi’s 13 and 6 others like this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If you ever find a way to get dogs to not eat every poop they can you let me know. Their taste buds are different from ours and they don't know it's supposed to be disgusting. They also I would assume get some probiotics by consuming it as well as a nutritional boost mentioned by @Ridgerunner .

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Not sure why it bothers you?..:idunno
    All dogs eat it. Mine love horse poop, duck poop, chicken poop, Bunny poop and Cat poop too..:sick...

5. Animals45

Animals45 Songster

Nov 8, 2018
    I think all dogs are just like that, My dogs eat horse poop, they LOVE cat poop, and eat lots of other poop too.:sick

chickens really and Mimi’s 13 like this.
  6. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with all the above. My dogs are chicken poop scavengers and connoisseurs. Same with the cat poop and horse manure. Now what I DON’T like is when they roll in it. There is nothing more disgusting, but they seem to like their chickie poo perfume!

Animals45 and alexa009 like this.
  7. Animals45

Animals45 Songster

Nov 8, 2018
    My dogs do the same they roll in it and when I give them a bath they try to get the soap smell off.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    That reminds me. I once made a pepper spray out of Habaneros to protect some plants (tulips) from deer. Right after I applied it one of my dogs went over and rolled in it, destroying the flowers. I quit growing tulips.

9. cassie123

cassie123 Crowing

Jun 13, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I agree... All dogs eat and roll in manure. There is not much you can do.

Notaneggspurt likes this.
  10. mixedbreeds

mixedbreeds Songster

Yup my dog likes the chicken poo but goose tootsie rolls are his favorite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: