Dogs eating plastic and peanut butter cups problem.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cjpines, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cjpines

cjpines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    My daughter's two dogs, age about 12 years, got a hold of those plastic tubes filled with Rees es Peanut Butter cups. One dog is diabetic. They ate the plastic and all the Reses'es. So far, they are not experiencing any symptoms.

Is this a sign of poor diet? Are they telling her something?

Any ideas, Tks

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    They are telling her to keep stuff like that out of dog reach. Seriously, if it has to do with food, most dogs will eat it. Especially if a human isn't around to punish them for it. It isn't a sign of a poor diet, just a dog being a dog, since most dogs adore peanut butter. They likely consumed plastic and wrappers in order to consume the candy.

Though if one of the dogs is diabetic, a diet to control carbohydrate intake (meaning food without grain and plant starches like most dry dog foods) and regular blood glucose monitoring is important. Hopefully the dog is on such a diet.

3. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    Yes, the dog is on a diabetic diet and gets insulin twice a day. My daughter thought she kept the candy out of reach, but beings home alone anything can happen. Tks for your input.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's just a normal dog thing to do! I would tell her to keep an eye on the dogs for two reasons though 1) the plastic could cause an obstruction if the dogs cannot pass it 2) chocolate always has the potential to be toxic. However, this was milk chocolate which has less of a tendency to cause toxicity. It's still a good idea to keep an eye out though.

The diabetic dog should be fine. Just continue giving him his insulin as normal. Dogs tolerate high glucose fairly well. Perhaps skip dinner or give less at the next meal to help even things out. The other option would just be to call te vet and see if they suggest a bit of extra insulin to account for the candy.

5. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    Good advice, thank you.

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    be on the watch for the dogs to have a touch of diarrhea from their splurge

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by