Dog's Foot is Abnormal- Urgent Help Please

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cluckcluckgirl, Oct 5, 2016.

1. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    We have an 11 year old Dachshund who I just noticed tonight has something up with his foot. Right at the ankle, it's limp and I can feel something sliding. I am with this dog quite often, and this is the first night I've noticed anything like this. The foot is not swollen, and he appears to only be in pain/discomfort if he stands on it a certain way. Does this sound like a slipped tendon or more like a dislocated joint? How should I treat it?

2. Nineplus5

Nineplus5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Put him on light duty for a day or so. Static guard duty and no perimeter patrols. [​IMG]

If there is no swelling it might be something he works through on his own. Check it first thing in the a.m.

Hope he's fine tomorrow.

3. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    It may be just a sprain. Dogs heal remarkably well. You should not have to call the vet, unless it gets worse.

4. Nineplus5

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    How is your pup?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    X2 Hopefully this resolves on its own within a few days. Since this is an 11-year-old dog, and a breed with short, bowed limbs, this could also be the start of something pretty serious. If it persists, or continues to deteriorate, a visit to the vet is in order.

6. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Update: His foot is still slightly limp, but better. He already has limited mobility because he's one of the dachshunds who has a bad back, but we help him as much as we can. I think it's a slipped tendon, because I can definitely feel something sliding a little bit. He's one tough pup, so I'm going to check on him again tonight. Overall, it looks like it's getting better.

Thanks everyone!

7. Nineplus5

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    He was hoping you would take him to a puppy spa:)

Good news. TY

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    just remember that daschies are another working breed intended to not show pain except in extreme circumstances. They were created to go face to face with badgers in their tunnels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by