Dogs for poultry guarding. I want to hear your experience.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rachiel25, Dec 8, 2014.

1. rachiel25

rachiel25 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2014
    We have a small farm in Missouri and are planning to expend. We are wanting to get a dog to stay outside with the animals, but are not very interested in the traditional LGD's. We know some people with Akita's who guard their chickens very well, we also have seen German shepherds as LGD's. We need a dog who can handle the elements in Missouri. I would like to hear your story about using a non- traditional LGD. Thank you!

2. CCsChickens

CCsChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    I don't know too much (okay anything!) about LGD breeds etc. or even Missouri weather - but I do have a flock of 6 backyard pullets which are guarded throughout the day and sometimes at night by my two little maltese X Chihuahua (Malchis!) and they do a wonderful job. I know that this probably wouldn't be realistic at all for a farm wanting to expand but I was so surprised how attached my Charlotte and Zac are to my flock! If anyone goes near them the dogs want to know what you're doing, why you're doing it and how long you'll be so you can go away and they can continue sitting near their coop and watching them.

My dogs never grew up as LGD at all and I thought I'd be in for chasing them away from trying to kill the chickens! Big surprise even when we let the dogs out at night its straight to the coop and even the other night there were large rats from the river in our yard near the coops and the dogs were onto them in a flash. Not sure if this will be helpful or not but I think it would be a surprise to anyone who would use traditional LGDs to hear of two little yappy dogs guarding a flock ahaha! Hope this is at least a surprise to you if not a helpful other angle on non traditional LGDs... good luck with choosing a dog! :)

3. rachiel25

rachiel25 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2014
    Thank you for sharing your experience! Small dogs are not much for us though lol. I would be scared to leave them out as coyotes could injure/kill them :(

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Our australian cattle dog was awesome as a farm dog. I wouldn't totally label him as an LGd because he came into the garage at nights, but he would have been fine with them if we kept him out all the time. Awesome recall and never trained him to be good with the animals. Just basic obedience. Great guard dog for strangers but good with the family (not a cuddly dog but we respected him as a dog). Also would do fine in colder weather with their heavier coats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by