Dogs getting parasites/bugs from chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KickingChicken, Jan 28, 2011.

1. KickingChicken

KickingChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Hi-
    I just bought my first chickens and am a little nervous. I just want to make sure that everyone stays happy and healthy. I have a lab that eats everything, including poop (yuck!). Although I will do my best to keep them separated, I want to do everything I can to prevent my dogs from getting something from the chickens. Is this a concern? I called the vet to ask for advice on what to give the dogs as a precautionary deworming, etc. I have not heard back from him. Also, can someone give me a rundown on everything I should be giving my chickens from vaccinations to worming (especially the products you trust the most). I apologize if there is a post out there that covers this.

Sorry I just realized this should have been in the diseases thread. Dang newbies, we seem to always screw things up.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Dogs eating chicken poop is gross, but not something to be overly concerned about. There isn't a whole lot that your dog is going to pick up from chickens that they aren't going to pick up from cats or other dogs (or walking in areas where these animals poop). If your dog is on a monthly heartworm treatment, most of these will also deworm them for several common intestinal parasites as well. Interceptor gets the most, with Heartguard probably being second in the number of parasites it helps to protect against. However, there is no single deworming product that will work on all of the different kinds of intestinal parasites that dogs can get so if you are concerned then it would be a good idea to have your vet do a fecal test once a year when he gets his annual exam and vaccines just to be sure he hasn't picked anything up (especially if he eats other animal's feces as a regular habit).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by