dogs got to chick! skin hanging off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coocooforclucking, Jul 5, 2011.

1. coocooforclucking

coocooforclucking New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    Ugggh! one of our pullets got out and the dogs got to it. It looks pretty bad but she is walking around and eating and drinking. I washed her off with mild soap and water to see how bad it was. under both wings is the worst damage. One side the feathers are just off on the other side though there is a flap of skin that is off where the breast is up to the "arm pit" There is no bleeding though, but I can't help but think its a matter of time before infection and dead skin come. Sooo my question is is it possible for her to survive like this, and do I try to bandage the skin to body to help "re-attach" I think it would just trap in germs and cause more risk for infection. BTW she is in a kennel in the coop area but protected from the other chickens who are very sweetly concerned and hanging out by her [​IMG] thanks for any advise.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    taht skin flat may need to be removed if you see healthy tissue under it, you will have to keep the area clean and apply an antibiotic ointment to the affected area, keep her calm and separaeted from the others until she heals. that may be a while with the way that wound sounds, the other chickens will find her bare skin interesting and will go after it. She should do fine with some time and care, they can recover from quite abit. I would not want to be put to sleep because of a wound, keep an eye on her for infection

3. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I agree with tammye
    It's amazing what they can come back from.
    I advise:
    Clean it with water and then a solution of 1 teaspoon Benadine to 16 oz water.
    Dry
    Apply Neosporine
    Put in separate pen with a buddy of the same sex for company.
    Re-apply neosporine daily
    Use litter that's not dusty and larger - like woodchips or shredded newspaper.
    Keep litter clean
    After a week to 10 days, let dry out and apply neosporine only every third day.
    Mix in a little cider aplle vinegar in water for added healing power.
    Sounds like she's going to be OK since she's behaving normally.
    Good luck.

4. coocooforclucking

Jul 5, 2011
    well I'm not sure if it's healthy tissue because it literally looks like a chicken breast from the store, so it looks like to me that all the tissue is off and seperated from the muscle. Do you think skin can regrow over a large area like that? thanks so far

5. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Keep it clean and smell the wound to check for infection daily. Your nose can detect it sooner than you can see it. I had something similar a few years ago. One of my seabrights flew over the fence and the dogs ripped a good chunk of skin off her bum area. Looked like meat from the store as well. It will heal, just make sure flies don't get to it.

edited because I can't spell.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  6. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    I would also apply Blue Kote on it...

7. coocooforclucking

Jul 5, 2011
    wow thanks everyone! Just bought some sharp scissors and some non-adhesive wrap to cut off the skin flap and will put some neo on it too. Whats this blue kote I keep reading about in posts and where does one buy it? thanks again for the support i have two little ones counting on me to "save tootles"[​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG] you can buy Blue-kote at most feed stores, and Tractor Supply. and you can get a genaric version at the drug stoe called gentian Violet it comes with a wand to apply so you might not get as much purple on everything as you do with the spray. She should heal fine.

9. coocooforclucking

Jul 5, 2011
    well I just wanted to post an update about our tootles. I got ahold of an awesome women down here in New Orleans and she rescues birds from the wild as well as ones that people gave to their kids and abused them or didn't want anymore. She told me not to cut the skin off and that after it died a bit she would cut it off. I never got the blue kote on cause it came in the mail a few hours after I dropped her off. She gave her pain meds and ten days of antibiotics. btw after the pain meds my daughter rubbed her under her throat area and she made this version of a kitten's purr, I have never heard it but the lady said she was happy. A few days later tootles actually pulled the majority of skin off and she will always have a bit of a skin/feather flap now. the skin doesn't grow back but a thicker scar type of tissue does. I reintroduced her to the flock with very little problems. I am truely amazed and attribute it to the kindness of this lady and timely antibiotics.

10. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    Tottles is one tough gal!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by