Dogs, hotwire, traps and bullsnakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by centrarchid, Aug 5, 2014.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am having some sort of predator going after birds roosting on pens at the very edge of where I keep birds. Critter I think involved is a raccoon, possibly more than one. It has been getting past my inner hotwire for past several nights because fence not hot enough due in part to drought conditions. Dogs get into it and drive it off but it does not have very far to go to get into cover through outer perimeter fence and into neighboring trailer court. It is impressive to hear the commotion as the dogs chop their way through high weeds after the smaller varmint that each night barely gets away. Dogs too stretched out to cover everything when varmints learn to invest effort only in hard to reach places. I am trying to saturate grounding wire but darn clay is slow to take up water. I also set out two live traps in area critter comes in and baited it with stinkiest mess of microwaved-catfood and peanut butter one could voodoo up. Smells bad enough to gag a maggot but should be ambrosia to any pest I am interested in culling. While I was setting traps dogs got into a very large bull snake that appeared to be exceed 8 feet long and was as big around as my wrist. Sadly dogs caught it and made it longer before attempting to drag into house for consumption. Female dog is seriously overheated from effort laying in duck waterer in an effort to cool off. I will now have to go out every couple hours to check trap ensuring dogs do not chew through it to chew on varmint captured, especially if it is a raccoon. Scoob does not respect the metal and damages his mouth in the process..

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    No catch overnight. No visit either. Fence is hotter but more water to be put on ground. Dogs may have made point night before last but I would feel better if critter no more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by