Dogs hunting for my chickens.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Big yellow, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Big yellow

Big yellow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    About a day ago, my dog started freaking out. We were inside, so I looked out the window. I saw two golden retrievers gnawing on the wire of my coop. One was on top of it. I scared them off and closed our gate so they couldn't get back in, but now im kinda worried. Any ideas?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Do you have ANY idea who's dogs they are? If so, you can try approaching them to give them the ONE warning they would get if I were you. If you don't know who's they are, and they come back - I'd be inclined to SSS because they have made their intentions with your birds crystal clear. This isn't a couple of dogs wandering across your property just minding their own business, these are two dogs who are actively trying (very hard) to get at your birds. In the meantime, it's time to be extra sure you keep the gate closed if that is how they got in in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you know who owns the dogs, you can try having an enlightening coversation with them. Make it clear that if the dogs come back you will be calling animal control.

4. Big yellow

Apr 24, 2014
    The dogs didn't have collars, but I think they were raised by someone, because they followed each other around after I closed the gate. I havent seen them around here before; I think someone just dropped them off, and I have a fence surrounding our property, so they shouldn't get in as long as no one forgets the gate.

5. enola

Oldgrey mare has faster fingers than me ......

Don't fool yourself.....dogs dig to get where they want to go.

What kind of fence surrounds your property?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  6. Big yellow

Apr 24, 2014
    Wooden picket that goes down about half a foot into the ground. I guess your right, they could dig under that.

7. Big yellow

Apr 24, 2014
    Yikes, should I put barbed wire on the walls of the coop?

8. enola

I had dogs dig under the chicken house wall to get into my chicken house. Fortunately they came up in the feed room.

However, SSS took care of the problem. The owners had their chance. Their conversation consisted of telling me I was trespassing. Their reply to the dog warden was we live in the country, we are not going to tie our dogs up.

I didn't have any choice.........

9. enola

I doubt that barbed wire would do much good. Electric fencing would be much better.

10. Big yellow

Apr 24, 2014
    Alright, I ll look into electric fencing. Thanks for the help. Ill be vigilant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by