Dogs ignore the chickens now.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by matt1898, Oct 29, 2013.

1. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    This has developed in the past few weeks. Our dogs, Rose and Pearl, have chased the chickens for most of the summer since the birds started venturing into the yard, after we let them have the pasture. We raise cows, chickens, pigs and stray cats....the dogs always chase the cats, but I have scolded both of them heavily whenever they tried to chase one of my birds. Now, not sure why, a RIR will be right up on the back porch and both dogs just sit there. It gives me this idea. I'm thinking that they didn't see the birds as a meal, but more of a threat to their territory...and now that they have grown used to them, they ignore them.

One funny incident did happen last week. I was walking past the glass doors leading outside, and I saw Nader, one of my roosters, nose to nose with Rose. Nader had all 3 reds behind him, just scratching away at the yard....I opened the door and yelled at Rose.."NO" and she looked at me like she didn't know what to make of this large bird staring her down. Everyday since, they ignore whatever bird walks into the yard........still chase the cats though.
    [​IMG]

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    That is a good progression of events. Still watch them. What can help solidify relation is dealing with an external threat like a fox coming through where dogs are forced to discern something they can chase amount a bunch of potential targets they are not supposed to chase. That helps the dogs further their thoughts chickens are not the real concern. The fighting over food may never end but that is tolerable. My dogs no longer harass chickens about consumption of dog food but there are disagreements about chicken feed, especially chick starter.

3. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    Each day they spend together, they'll learn to respect each other more. I went through this with my dogs,cats and chickens.

4. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    [​IMG]

A now typical day in our back yard. Whenever I open the door to my car, the birds all run to me expecting some Bojangles biscuit or something..........Yeap, I've spoiled them.

[​IMG]

"Hey what did you bring us, Dad?"

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Pretty girls.
    what is that around the pretty dogs neck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by