dogs in the house, safety of the chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wildriverswolf90, Aug 5, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I've got 3 very sweet dogs inside and my question is I could I introduce the chicks to them?

2. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    What I did was when they were in their brooder, I let my dog look in and I stayed right next to her the whole time. She whinned and her mouth even salivated alittle bit [​IMG] lol. I just kept telling her "good chickens, good Lady(that's her name)" And if she started to get to close to them, I would tell her "Noooo...nice chickens, nice Lady" I may sound crazy BUT my chickens, cat, kittens, dog and the 2 week old chick all run around together now! I do have to still monitor my baby chicks, but only from the big chickens [​IMG] Be persistant and patient. Good luck!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    My dog was young, but I introduced him right away. Twice, they popped out of their hutch, and he caught them in his mouth, but he spit them out when I expressed unhappiness.

[​IMG]

I say, introduce, but supervise. Soon, you will have one big, happy family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    OMGosh, ChickInDelight, I love the pictures, it's just like my house! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT [​IMG] My camera is unfortunately out of commission so I cant take all of the cute pictures [​IMG] Hopefully my Darling hubby gets me a new one [​IMG] Take care!

5. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    ChickInDelight - what awesome pictures. I hope to have some like that someday.

6. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    We have 3 dogs, 2 of which will chase birds, but it took them 2 days to even realize the chicks were in the house even though they were laying right next to them. So by the time they knew they were there they just ignored them and we introduced them. No problems at all, although I would not leave them unsupervised loose or anything.
    Now that they're in the run, they'll go around and sniff, but thats it. I'm much more worried about the neighbors dogs and will not free range them unless I know for a fact the neighbor is not home and the dog is locked up.

Now our cat is a different story. She has caught rabbits bigger than her, so she would definitely eat the baby. So she's been locked up since we got them. Or I guess now she's loose again since the chickens are outside, but she's an indoor cat. I don't know if she would try anything when they're full grown or not. Hopefully we won't have to find out. But we'll have the chicken wire on top soon and then she shouldn't be able to get to them at all anyway.

7. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Thank you all for your advice! I own 5 dogs and 1 is just to hyper to b around the chick and the is a wolf mix so autmatic NO for her. But my golden retriever thinks that the new babies are his to mother and and yes HE likes to mother! [​IMG] I LOVE THE PICS SO CUTE! Well shadow the golden will be happy to kno that he can c HIS chicks. Will post pics when my camera is working.

8. Cryssie_Bou

Cryssie_Bou Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Quote:She probly wont.. My Oreo is the same he will catch anything you name it and kill it.. but he is terrified of the chickens.... GO FIGURE:lol:

9. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I didn't introduce until the chicks were out side. My older dog never got introduced because meals that run don't interest her. My young St. bernard I walked around in their pen.

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Be careful. Be careful. Be careful. Countless sweet dogs have mauled and/or killed countless defenseless birds. Monitor closely at all times and know that a dog can be fast as lightning. A neighbor's dog came into my yard and grabbed my hen Ellie who was only 8 inches away from me, before I was able to reach down and grab her. It happened sooooo fast. Ellie would have been shaken to death or ripped to shreds were it not for 2 of us being right there to get the dog to drop her. In just a frantic few seconds Ellie suffered a dislocated foot and was in awful pain for weeks afterward. I know well from this site that some dogs are great with birds but I also know well from this site that some people are heartbroken who thought they could trust their dogs only to find out in a tragic way and when they least expected it that they couldn't. All the best.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by