1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dogs itching - any suggestions as to why?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pbjmaker, Nov 28, 2010.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My 4 small dogs have started itching like crazy lately. They do not have fleas. They were down at my parents house playing in tall grass though right before it all started. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this insane itching? We flea dipped them just in case, but didn't see anything on them.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    We had a dog once that was allergic to grass. She would scratch and bite her fur off digging at her skin. Perhaps that could be it? You might also see if any of their food has changed recently.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

4 dogs started itching at once. Do you live in "chigger land'?

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    While I am sure there are chiggers here in Iowa, it has been very cold out so it is not chigger season...

I had thought of that

5. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    did they fertilize their lawn recently? maybe it pollen in grass did u have storm there[windy]? maybe the skin got dry due to the cold weather n u bring them into a hot dry home[heat is on now in home].

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If nothing else, try a natural dog food. An allergy to corn or another food would not be uncommon.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Could be diet or a food allergy. Maybe add some raw ACV or brewer's yeast to the diet and see if it makes a difference.

8. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    They have been eating grain free food for the last three months. Either TOTW or Diamonds naturals. They all have very healthy looking coats, almost glittery [​IMG]

I used avoderm shampoo and conditioner on them and today I finally gave them all some benedryl.

I will take the worst one into the vet if it doesn't clear up in the next couple of days.

Can they get poison ivy but not blister like humans? My mom did have some poison ivy under her LP tank and they were under there. She sprayed this summer to get rid of it though.

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I had a beagle with allergies. She was tested and was allergic to... Lots of different kinds of grasses, cedar, flea bites, beef, corn, wheat, and most other ingredients in pet food.
    Your problem might be the grasses. Good luck.

10. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:bingo poison ivy keep giving them the benedryl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by