Dogs killed all my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Weasleymum, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    ... reposted from "emergencies". Title says it all... I'm devastated and I don't know what to do.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    This is heartbreaking - poor birds.

Who's dogs killed all your chickens?

3. Weasleymum

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Apparently they belong to a neighbor across the street. I've seen the dogs running around the neighborhood before, but didn't know which house they belonged to. I called Animal Control, but the dogs ran off before the officers got there. When we were talking in the backyard, the dogs ran back into sight, and the officers were able to match them to an owner.

DH is talking about running electric wire around the whole back fence... I'm pretty sure you can't do that in urban areas.

4. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    I'm so sorry. I just one chicken last week and it was (and is) sad, I can't imagine the devastation of losing all of them. Peace to you in this troubled time...

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I am so sorry! Hope you are able to replace them!

6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Aww, that is sooo sad, I am sorry for your loss!!!

7. Weasleymum

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks you guys. I only had three chickens, since I'm in a very urban location (small yard), and they were really almost like pets. I'm so new at this, I'd only had them 6 weeks or so, and everything was going so well, that this is just shocking.

8. LittleHouseDreams

LittleHouseDreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I'm so sorry for your loss... I hope Animal Control takes appropriate action with the dogs owner(s).

10. Weasleymum

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Me too. They were very nice men, said they were sorry about the birds. I was a tiny bit worried about calling because while chickens *are* legal here, a lot of people don't know that. I would hope that animal control would, at least, but was afraid they might have given me a hard time about my "livestock". They didn't at all, though. I just hope they follow through... if I see these dogs out and about again, I'm going to be ticked. The sad thing is, one of them at least seems like a really sweet, nice dog... it's natural for dogs to go for chickens, it doesn't make him a "bad" dog, but that's why they need to be contained. I know MY dog would go for chickens in an instant, which is why she never had any access to them. If I can keep my own dog constrained, then the neighbors should do the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by