Dogs killed and injured our entire flock of 55....crushed!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickencrazyinHT, Feb 25, 2012.

1. chickencrazyinHT

chickencrazyinHT Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    I have seen the most horrific sight ever. I came out to find a bulldog and German Shepard at my chicken coops. I saw feathers on the ground and knew it was bad. I ran them off and nothing prepared me for what i saw. we have 6 different coops and they had managed to tear into every one and it was a bloody chicken massacre. About 55 Chickens were killed or injured. They were ripped to shreds and piled on top of each other. some were barely breathing and bleeding and it was awful. This happened yesterday and we had to shoot 8 more today from big open wounds, broken legs, and some were lifeless and barely breathing.

These were our 11 year old sons business. He wanted to get into chickens and sold eggs. We have so much time and money invested in different breeds and we are heart broken. They were our pets. Our chickens had different personalites and loved being around us. Those dogs managed to tear through a layer of chicken and hog wire and kill everything we worked so hard for. Irresponsible dog owners cost us so much heart ache and grief. We are all so broken and saddened at our loss. I love chickens but I never want to experience this heartache again. We are trying to make a decision of whether to start a flock back. It makes me want to give up bc why work so hard for something that an animal can take away from you in a snap. We miss them so much. They brought us so much joy. Devastated is not the word...on a better note, they came back for one rooster today who has his own coop and were pulling at the wire on his coop and my husand shot them. There are many dogs that run loose in our rural area and it makes us not even want to try again though.

2. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Oh I am so sorry! It's never easy losing critters, espically en mass like that! It's just heartbreaking, and I'm sure your son was crushed :(

We've had our fair share of experiences with strays, and while some were good, some were also like you describe. The one that comes to mind because you mentioned them ripping through the pens, is one cute little pit bull looking thing. From what I can remember, is we walked into our garage/barn, towards the feed room, and both my mom and I were startled by this skinny, ugly looking blue puppy laying on a straw bale meant for the cats, with the cats cuddling with it. So, being the suckers soft hearted people that we are, we started feeding it. It was a very sweet puppy, gave kisses and wagged it tail every time we brought it food. It stayed for a week or so. We came home one night to find it gone, thinking maybe being it had gotten enough strength up to be wandering around or had left before we could find it a home. So I went into the feed room like normal, got my rabbits their food (We had these COOL mini mini mini jersey wooly type rabbits, full grown, had gotten them at an auction or something and had already raised a litter from them), and I started freaking out when I got out there. My mom came out to find me looking through the pieces of PLYWOOD that the dog had ripped chunk by chunk out of their cage to get at all of my rabbits. Couldn't believe that it had actually ripped through the cage. Amazing what that prey drive will do. Never saw the dog again either. *sigh*

I hope someone takes care of those dogs you saw. I would try asking around to see if anyone has seen them or knows who owns them, and go after them for the damages. Call the authorities or do whatever you have to do. That's A LOT of loss :(

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So sorry.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So sorry for your loss.File a police report and AC report. Hopefully you can find the owners and charge them. I would go door to door and inquire about those two types of dogs. I might not do all this for myself,but if it were my kids flock I would do all I could to make things right.Cleaning up the carnage or a *sorry* from the dog owner would not be enough for me to move on. I would stew over this until there is some resolution. If they are strays I would shoot them both when they return(and they will). Again, sorry for the loss. Hugs for your boy. I feel so bad for him.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Really sorry your family had to go through this. Glad your husband was able to take care of the problem and that you don't have to worry about those two particular dogs again. I think filing reports as stated above is a good idea. Certainly would be worth looking for the owners. You could act like a concerned neighbor that has the dogs and just wants to return them so that the owner would be more likely to claim them. I'd take a witness with you though to verify that they actually claimed the dogs. Which isn't likely to happen if you start out by saying "do you own the loose dogs that slaughtered my flock", if you catch my meaning.

I would encourage you to start over, just make sure that those coops are small versions of Fort Knox. The longer your son is without a new flock, the more time he'll have to dwell on the loss of the original flock. Get him busy building his new flock and reinforcing the coops and he will move on from it more quickly.

Just my thoughts, I'm really sorry you're in this situation

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh I am so sorry. That is so terrible. I have no words for you. I am speechless. I am sending you hugs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. queenchick16

queenchick16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    I am terribly sorry for your loss. I live on Long Island NY. Where are you? I would like to help you in anyway I can. Can I please send a small donation to your sons business?Carol

1 person likes this.
  8. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so incredibly sorry for your family's loss. That is so very heartbreaking and discouraging. I wouldn't think about weather or not replace your flock just yet. All of you are experiencing very raw pain right now. Give yourselves time to grieve. Your poor baby boy. I know that there truly are no words that can give you the comfort that you need. Give yourselves time to heal. I'm glad that you were able to eradicate the chicken killers! I pray that God comfort you in this terrible time of trial in your lives. [​IMG]

Sincerely,
    Kelly

9. sarasweatman

sarasweatman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    I am so sorry for your loss. We had that happen 5 years ago with a flock of Guinnies. We came home to find a dog had gotten our whole flock. This year we are getting brave enough to try again. It's very traumatic. We will be thinking of you!

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I hate that for you so much. It is devastating for sure. I had a dog come through some years back and massacre quite a few of my cats and a mama cat and her kittens. I thought I'd die.
    Rebuild using hardware cloth and read the predator and coop building sections on here. You will find that most of the attacks were either through chicken wire or not terribly secure pens. When I decided to get chickens I read throughly and have tried to anticipate what can get them and how I can protect them. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by