1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dogs killed and injured our entire flock of 55....crushed!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickencrazyinHT, Feb 25, 2012.

1. chickencrazyinHT

chickencrazyinHT Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    I have seen the most horrific sight ever. I came out to find a bulldog and German Shepard at my chicken coops. I saw feathers on the ground and knew it was bad. I ran them off and nothing prepared me for what i saw. we have 6 different coops and they had managed to tear into every one and it was a bloody chicken massacre. About 55 Chickens were killed or injured. They were ripped to shreds and piled on top of each other. some were barely breathing and bleeding and it was awful. This happened yesterday and we had to shoot 8 more today from big open wounds, broken legs, and some were lifeless and barely breathing.

These were our 11 year old sons business. He wanted to get into chickens and sold eggs. We have so much time and money invested in different breeds and we are heart broken. They were our pets. Our chickens had different personalites and loved being around us. Those dogs managed to tear through a layer of chicken and hog wire and kill everything we worked so hard for. Irresponsible dog owners cost us so much heart ache and grief. We are all so broken and saddened at our loss. I love chickens but I never want to experience this heartache again. We are trying to make a decision of whether to start a flock back. It makes me want to give up bc why work so hard for something that an animal can take away from you in a snap. We miss them so much. They brought us so much joy. Devastated is not the word...on a better note, they came back for one rooster today who has his own coop and were pulling at the wire on his coop and my husand shot them. There are many dogs that run loose in our rural area and it makes us not even want to try again though.

2. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    I am SO sorry, that is terrible. I have lost a few to my own dog, so I can somewhat understand. If you enjoyed raising your flock, don't let anyone of anything stop you! My sincere condolences. xo

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Your husband shot both the bulldog and the German Shepherd? Did the dogs have identification, or do you know who owns the dogs?

The owners of the dogs should pay to replace the chickens that you lost and the damage the dogs did to your coops. The owners should not have allowed the dogs to run loose.

Those were some determined dogs to tear through chicken wire and hog wire. How many chickens are remaining? I would suggest putting an electric wire around the fence to keep dogs out.

You son is 11 years old and wanted to do this as a business. It would be sad if he gave up on this because of these dogs. At least these repeat offenders won't be coming back.

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking I am sure, but start over, but with a stronger fence, and Electric too. Consider it a learning experience and move on. As hard as it is, take notes and pictures so that if needed you have SOLID PROOF of what transpired. If you find the irresposible party, present them with a bill for your losses. small claims court may be your only option and you may wish to file a police report (if they will make one).

Sorry

RobertH

1 person likes this.
  5. chickencrazyinHT

chickencrazyinHT Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Yes he shot them both. The German Shepard ran away and the bulldog ran through the woods and we think he died in there somewhere. We saw the house the German Shepard went to and called the police to see how we needed to handle it and they called the people and they admitted it was their dogs so we met with them and talked. Even though we lost about $800 in chickens and damage,We didnt want to get involved in small claims court so I told them that I wouldnt sue or even ask for money but I better never see another dog of theirs on my property or things could get ugly. The German Shepard is going to live but they have been looking for the bulldog all afternoon and evening and I dont think they ever found it. They were some mean dogs who didn't need to be loose. The coops were double wired with chicken wire and hog wire so yes, they were very determined. The bottoms were even boarded up about 2 feet but on most of the pens but they pulled wire at the door area that wasnt boarded up. Im just wondering how we could reinforce our coops where this doesnt ever happen again. We have a few living with bad puncture wounds but can wobble around a little and walk. They are eating and drinking so I dont know how long we should give them to heal and what i should do with their injuries. We had to put the ones we knew for a fact werent going to make it out of their misery. I dont want the wounds getting infected. Thanks for the encouragement. Our 11 year old sons dream is to be a farmer and he loved his chickens. He would sell eggs for $2 a dozen and had become a little business man. To see that taken away from him breaks my heart in a million pieces.

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That is really tragic, sorry that ya'll went through this.

As the others have said electric fencing is in order. Don't get one of those cheap pet containment chargers either get a low impedance, weed cutter, chargers that will knock a bull to their knees. If you do rebuild I would also suggest using cattle panels, they are heavy gauge wire that won't give under the pressure of a dog and cover that with other wire such as the woven wire.

Gallagher makes some good fence energisers as does places like Premier fencing. A good enegiser is pricey but well worth it in the long run.

On the doors sandwich the wire between two boards and glue and screw it plus beef up the bottom of them with sheet metal and put more latches near the bottom to keep the doors from being pulled outwards.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  7. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Just watch for infections on the puncture wounds. Chickens are tough critters and will pull through some very bad situations when given a little time.

I would use some Betadine soap to clean the wounds and then let time heal them.

The wounds will scab over and look really nasty but unless the area around the wounds discolor badly or start to smell just leave them alone. Don't use Hydrogen peroxide as it can harm new flesh coming in.

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

You are nicer than I am. Those people should at least replace the chickens that were killed.

Hopefully they can keep the German Shepherd on their own property from now on.

9. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your lose. I would put Neosporin on the birds wounds, heat lamps to keep them warmer than normal. You could give them hard boiled egg bits for protine and plain yogurt. Putting antibiotics in their water would probably be benificial too.
    I have to say - You are way nicer than I would have been because, I would have used their money to buy a very very large kennel to keep your chickens safe. 1/2" hardware cloth put on with washer and screws is strong for coops.

10. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by