1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dogs killed birds-what to charge?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dadsgirl, Jan 23, 2009.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    yesterday, i found the neighbors dogs at the chicken pens, they had slaughtered, several chickens, duck, turkeys all hand raised and tore up several pens.
    heartbroken!!!!

talked to the neighbor and said to make a list and he would cover the damage, how do you put a price on birds, they were all full grown.
    turkeys,
    ducks,
    chickens

thanks, angie

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I charged a neighbor $25 per bird, but there was no damage to my pen. For the pen damage, maybe replacing the materials and helping with repairs?

You are fortunate that you have a cooperative neighbor.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If they were purebred then turkeys are expensive! About $45 up each around here. Ducks run anywhere from $10 to $30 for more common breeds and much more for exotics. A laying hen of any type will go for $15 and a purebred of good quality could bring as much as $50 depending. Roosters range from $5 for common and $35 for good pures of special type.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Yeah, what she says. Mine were all feed store pullets, nothing exotic or show quality.

5. GOSPELSOLDIER

GOSPELSOLDIER Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    new britain
    If i was you i would place a lawsuit and you will def win it..

Florida Dog Bite Law
    The following are selected regulations from the 2004 Florida Statutes (Chapter 767) pertaining to Damage by Dogs.

Dog owner's liability for damages to persons, domestic animals, or livestock

Owners of dogs shall be liable for any damage done by their dogs to a person or to any animal included in the definitions of "domestic animal" and "livestock" as provided by s. 585.01.

and if you ever see it again around you chickens kill it...look

Good defense for killing dog.

In any action for damages or of a criminal prosecution against any person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that said dog had been or was killing any animal included in the definitions of "domestic animal" and "livestock" as provided by s. 585.01 shall constitute a good defense to either of such actions.

Thanks and sorry about your loss....

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:Why force a lawsuit if the neighbor's are being cooperative? That's just a lot of extra time and expense. Not to mention people in this country are sue happy anyways. As long as they're cooperative I would work it out between you guys. If they're decent people I'm sure that they are horrified that it happened at all...but accidents do happen.

7. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I would have still had the police or animal control come to make out a report..You just never know, they may get the bill and then decide its to costly for them or its not a fair price in there eyes..then at least you have a report of the attack and damages, if it would need to go any futher..better safe than sorry. remember anyone can say anything to you. but in a court of law its all just heresay

just my 2 cents

Sorry to here of your loss
    Charlie

8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I had the same thing happen yesterday !!! Somone else on here helped me to come up with some figures so I will pass that info along.

15.00 each per laying hen ( If not show quality)

8.00 each per roo

115 eggs lost per hen then times what you charge per dozen eggs

replacement cost of new day old chickens

feed to raise new chickens to 23 weeks til they reach laying age
    ( 2 pounds per bird per week times the cost of each bag )

and you could tack on even more if you wanted to get picky. I am going to ask for $400.00 for my 5 layer hens and 1 roo that were killed hen and 1 roo still missing and could lick myself for not calling the first time their dog kiled 7 hens a few months ago !!! I did call animal control and took pictures myself as well . My total finical loss is over $500.00 when you add up the price of feed and eggs it gets expensive to have the babies but well worth it to me !!!!

I am so sorry I know exactly how you feel !!!!

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:I totally agree! It is a start that they are willing to pay for losses. But the bill may change their mind. Hopefully you can negotiate.

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Why force a lawsuit if the neighbor's are being cooperative? That's just a lot of extra time and expense. Not to mention people in this country are sue happy anyways. As long as they're cooperative I would work it out between you guys. If they're decent people I'm sure that they are horrified that it happened at all...but accidents do happen.

THey might be less cooperative when they all sudden have a over 1000$ bill in front of them.
    Dont forget to include all other things like cost of replacement , food, cost of eggs that could have been sold. Lets say 240 eggs a year per hen at 3$ a dozen would be 60$ per hen lost.
    A free range turkey goes easily for 50-75$ at thanksgiving time.
    Ducks is hard to estimate but female runners or Cambells that lay over 300 eggs are valuable. figure 300 eggs at 4$ a dozen means 100$ a duck a year. And i dont even include the babies you could have sold. THen you could be in the thousands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by