Dogs killed chickens, ready to give up. *Another chicken killed.*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Coralietg, May 29, 2010.

1. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    I'll try and make this short as I can. I've seen two dogs in the garden recently, a couple of times, chased them out each time.

A few days a go, lost two chicks during a heavy thunderstorm. No sign of them. Was alerted to something being wrong by the rooster coming to sit on the living room window sill looking very wet and ragged. After going out to account for all chicks, noticed the two were missing, and walked the roads looking for any sign; found lots of white feathers about 100m down, rooster is white. I wondered about the dogs as my daughter had seen the rooster outside first, gone to the window and shouted "puppy!" at me. I decided I would put it down to them drowning in the heavy rain.

Well, yesterday, I do one of my hourly checks, and the two dogs have my chickens cornered. I manage to get outside chase them out of the garden and they run right into my problem neighbours yard. I decide to put my big girl knickers on and march up to the door, she answers, the dogs are sat on the porch waiting for her, I tell her what's going on and she denies they are hers. Says she "knows" one and it's a good dog, but the other showed up a few weeks a go. Then she tells me to call the SPCA to get them to pick the dogs up, but not to tell them they are hers, I have to say they're strays. [​IMG]

We're outside city limits, so I guess that means animal control, but animal control is closed weekends and holidays, so I can't call them until Tuesday.

This afternoon (Saturday) I shut the chickens away early because the dogs have been showing up just before sundown. Once again, check out of the window and the dogs are trying to get into the coop! I go outside with the BB gun, hit them a few times, they run right back to my neighbours. Check the coop, they've tried digging under, hit the concrete we have buried, then they tired CHEWING THROUGH THE WOODEN DOOR!

I'm at my wits end. My husband is working until Tuesday, I don't have access to any guns. It's so frustrating [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    wow can you call a friend of DH to come shoot them?

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    it's all about management... so far I haven't met a dog that can outrun a bullet..

4. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Read my thread, its been going on over here for a long time. about 220 posts or so.... Don't waste your time being nice. [​IMG] Call the sheriff, and animal control. Never go outside without a firearm. And keep records/take photos of everything. My neighbor denied everything even with the bird hanging out of the dogs mouth! [​IMG] In front of the officer!!! Let the county do their job and if at all possible sue him after! Good luck [​IMG]

5. barredrockgrl

barredrockgrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    I'm really, really sorry. I know how frustrating it is when people don't take responsibility for their animals. Here it's mostly cats. We're over run with the dirty vermin. Having said that though....put down the BB gun please. We have every right to protect our livestock from marauding dogs, but a BB gun is just cruel. I say get a real gun, or if you can't handle the thought of killing them, a pop (noise) gun. BBs will just stay in an animal and cause long term pain. Again, I'm really sorry you're going through this.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you don't have a gun, can you swing a baseball bat? Gee whiz, those are some determined dogs! I hope you can get rid of them somehow.

7. skeeter03

skeeter03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Vernon
    sometimes SPCA will come out if you tell the the dogs are inured. we live outside any dog control area and that is how I got them to pick up a dog out at our house. If you can coax the dogs over to you and tie them on with something until somebody can come pick them up. then at least you know where they are. or you can then load them up (if you can) and take them to the SPCA and drop them off - but there is usually a fee for that.
    Its that or standing guard the next few days - sprinkle pepper all around your coop lots of it - hotsauce pepper anything that will deter them when they put their noses to it - worked with my dogs to keep them out of the garbage lol.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Until you can take care of the dog problem, protect your chickens. Anything in the way of a run you can lock them in? Fencing?

I gave up on free ranging because of random dogs coming through.

9. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    "Pictures at 6" .......... take pictures irrefutable proof!!!!

10. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:A friend of mine had that problem where the local animal control told her that it's 'not their problem'. Of course, in this town, they catch dogs and cats then take them out in the country and release them. The animal control wouldn't take care of it...so a rifle did. Both times it was quick and painless, the dog was dead before it hit the ground. A teenage boy did it (farm kid), and I have to admit, his marksmanship was amazing.

I would:
    1. Try to talk Animal Control out. Throw a fit it they refuse. Call the sheriff and raise hell their. Don't refer to your chickens as your pets...make it clear that 'These mutts are MAIMING MY PROPERTY AND LIVESTOCK!'.

2. Raise horror with the neighbor. I would threaten to sue her for damages to my flock and coop is she doesn't get off her lazy rump and do something about the idiot dogs.

3. Call local animal rescues. Make it very clear that these dogs will be shot (even if your not going too) or poisoned if they don't get
    relocated in a jiffy. Tell them your neighbor is not taking responsibility. Loss of your livestock is unacceptable, cute lil' doggy or not.

4. Get yourself a real gun and pop them right in the head. You may have to lay in wait if their scared of you. If you have bad aim/can't kill a dog, check around with a few farms. More often than not someone will have a son who's steady with a gun and is not afraid to put a stray to sleep.

5. If you can't/won't kill them, catch them and take them on a nice long car ride to somewhere far, far, away. Be very careful if you decide to take this route. Who knows what kind of things the mutts are carrying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by