dogs killed chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickens coup, Sep 1, 2016.

1. chickens coup

chickens coup New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    Burnt Cabins PA
    Two pitbulls killed twentytwo of our chickens and three of our guineas. We are devastated, they were our pets. This is unbelievable but PA. Animal Control is only fining the owners for the replacement costs of the chickens. The officer told me to do some research and come up with a cost. They were all laying hens: austrolorp, rhode island reds, dominique, barred rock, golden laced Wyandottes, aracaunas, and buff orpington. Can anyone help me out ?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My Pet Chicken sells started birds, age about 6 weeks, for 25-35 dollars each, so I would probably value each one about that much. Sorry, I would be really angry.

3. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I wonder if you can add the cost of feed and any other costs. I would if I were you.
    Milk these dog owners for everything you possibly can, maybe they will start locking up the dogs once they see the bill.

4. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I am so sorry for your loss, that is horrible. :(

I agree, instead of $25 per laying hen (don't forget shipping costs if you use an estimate from a hatchery), would it come out to more if you started with chick costs and then added a lifetime of feed.

My condolences, hope you are going to try to start again...

5. goosiesnougs

goosiesnougs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    I am terribly sorry for your loss. That is extreme and your anger is justified. $30 per laying hen sounds right to me..but feed and time! How can you be compensated for that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by