Dogs Killed my Cat!!!! ****NEW Update 5/19****

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GwenFarms, May 16, 2008.

1. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I am so upset. About a half hour ago my son was outside doing his chores, he's ten. He beat on the window as if something was wrong and I went running outside. He came around the house hopping on his leg and crying. I asked him what had happened. He was crying and mumbling and I couldn't understand what he was saying. I've been having problems with him overreacting to things lately and keep reminding him of the boy who called wolf. I wasn't overly concerned. I told him to slow down and tell me what was going on. All I could make out was he was trying to keep the dogs from getting the cat and the cat scratched him. I thought he meant the dogs had chased the cat up on the porch. For some reason they have been harrassing my barn cat lately. I told my older son to run out to the barn and get the lounge whip. I stood around for a full minute, maybe longer waiting. When he came back with it I walked around to scold the dogs and they had my cat on the floor of the porch. There was two big dogs and even one of my little dogs. I started screaming and whipping at the dogs. They ran off, but it was too late. I knew right away the cat was in bad shape. I brought him in and laid him in his favorite spot. His mouth was full of dirt and he was panting. He had some blood on his neck, but not alot. I used my hand to give him some water and wash the dirt out of his mouth. I saw right away that one of his pupils was way bigger than the other one. He died within 15 minutes, long before I could get him to a vet.

My ds2 is soooooo upset. He thinks that its his fault for not saving the cat and for not telling me clearer what was happening. Had he been clearer I would have gotten there much sooner. I think he has learned his lesson. He has a big ugly looking place on his leg. I don't think the cat scratched him. I think it bit him, so now I'm worried about him having a reaction to that. Its been an awful morning. I've got to go call the doctor and see how I should treat his wound.

I'm just editing to say before anyone thinks I let my cat run with dangerous dogs that this cat was not my barn cat, but our wonderful house cat we have owned for nine years. The dog that instigated the attack we've had for 8 years and they have always lived in harmony. We have always owned cats with these dogs and have never had anything like this to happen. I can't imagine why this happened.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. A Carolina Chick

A Carolina Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    NC
    Sorry! I hope your son is okay. [​IMG]

3. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    That's so terrible - I'm so sorry! That's strange they would attack after living together that long... Your poor son - please tell him it's not his fault.

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Oh, I am so sorry - what an awful way to begin your day. [​IMG] If your son was bitten by the cat, you definitely need to take him to the doctor and get him on some antibiotics. Cat bites are notorious for becoming infected (I know - I've been bitten a few times) and they can be really nasty, difficult infections to get rid of once they start.

Unfortunately, with your dogs, you will now always have to watch them around cats - kind of like once they kill a chicken and find out what great sport it is, they will keep doing it given the chance.

Liz

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I'm sooo sorry this happened. Be sure to have a doctor treat your son's cat bite--when I was treated for a dog bite I was told by a doc that cat bites are nastier.

Sorry for the redundant post, Lizardz & I posted at the same time.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  6. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Ohhhh, I'm so sorry your son had to experience that. I know my 8 yr old would absolutely DIE if she saw something like that happen - she would probably even plot retaliation aganst the offending dog....lol.

Give your son an extra hug and be prepared - this might have traumatized him enough to affect him for some time.... [​IMG]

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So sorry for this horrible incident. Who knows what would cause the dogs to suddenly turn on your housecat? It's one of those things that you probably won't ever figure out. Your son will be quite upset for a few days but children are quite resilient and I'm sure he'll be fine. Hopefully, with the right words from you, he won't turn on the dogs. I agree with the previous poster that you will probably have to watch them with all cats from now on. Again...my sympathies go out to you all...[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
  8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    What a horrible day for your whole family!! Please tell your son it is NOT his fault, what awful guilt for a child to live with. Even if he could have told you sooner, he don't need to think it could have made a difference. I am sure he learned his lesson. How awful for you, as the parent, to have to take care of all of the above!! The kids, the cat, the dogs! UGH!

I am sure you did this, but definitely wash that would with soap and water and apply neosporin and then off to the Dr.'s. My friend got bit on her knuckle by a cat, she went on antibiotics from her Dr. that same day and 3 days later it was not better she went back in. He put her in the hospital immediatlely and put her on an IV and said if it was not significantly better by the next day, they would do surgery!! It had gotten into the joint and was wreaking havoc.

On another note, when my oldest son got bit at school by another child (in 10th grade!!), the school didn't bother to call me and when I called up to the hospital to check, they said he needed a tetanus shot. Evidently cat bites are the worst, human is second! The school wasn't even going to discipline this girl because she was playing around, not being malicious. She had chipped a tooth and it was sharp. She bit 3 kids, because it was funny! My son's teacher only let him go to the office because his hand wouldn't stop bleeding and it was running down his arm, off his elbow!! I didn't think it was very funny at all and reminded them if a BOY had thought it was funny to shove girls and knock them down, hurting them, he would immediately have been suspended. For some reason, they don't think girls should get the same. She finally received in school suspension. Big deal!

9. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I'm sorry you lost your indoor cat. Why is it always the favorites? Your cat was probably in shock, so most likely he did not suffer.

Unfortunately you and your son are left to grieve and second guess your actions. Try to be gentle on yourselves. It never helps to wonder what might have happened if you'd gotten there sooner. You can only move forward.

10. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor Kitty! At the vet's office where I work, we see all kinds of cat injuries, cat/cat fights, racoons/people/dogs attacking cats. Indoor/outdoor cats and strictly outdoor cats have it really hard!
    I was listening to a radio show by the Canadian SPCA a while ago, and they said the average lifespan for an indoor cat is something like 17 years, and the average lifespan for an outdoor kitty is only 2 years. That sucks.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by