dogs killed my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DannyUpchurch, Oct 12, 2009.

1. DannyUpchurch

DannyUpchurch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    a dog killed 2 of my chickns yesterday. I followed the feather trail to his house to find him chewing on one of them. I tried nicely to explain to the owner that there is no law outside the city limits that says he has to keep his dog tied up but is responseable for his actions. I told the owner I wasnt seeking any money or chickens but would like for this not to happen again or it maybe a different story. then the owner got angery with me for some reason like i had done something wrong. well as u can tell by the time of this post that the dog is at it again, Ive ran him off twice tonight and about tired off worryn.the joker even act as if he was gonna bite me. Do any of u know the laws on shooting the mut. I love dogs but want have one thats out of my control. There is nothing i can do as far as having him picked up because off these stupid laws. I guess my new deer rifle will have dog on its first hunt. to bad there no good to eat. I really hate to shoot him but theres not much more i can do. I spent to much on pens already and hes still getting in. chewed threw a one by four on the door. what fo do??????????????

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    That is really lousy but if the owner is not prepared to stop the dog then you will have to shoot it. I love dogs too but this one has the taste now and will not stop trying. sorry you have to do this. [​IMG]

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I would suggest calling the local police to report what is going on and ask what you are legally allowed to do to protect your birds. I am going through something similar where I live. There is no leash law and the size and temperment of the loose 'pet' dogs are concerning me.
    What a horrible experience for you. I hope it's resolved soon.

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Yesterday, we shot a dog:barnie I was really upset. This dog is apparently homeless and has been running lose for some weeks. It never came up to our house but was outside the chicken fence several times. All the rabbits have disappeared so what would have been next.....chickens! So my husband shot it. Devestating. I hoped and prayed that it was a clean shot, but we never found the dog. All day, I worried that I had shot someone's pet. However, we had to be proactive; can't take the chance that the dog would run out of easy prey, like rabbits and then come for my babies. No, it isn't the doggies fault. But unfortunately, the dog reaps the consequences of stupid people. I hated it, but it needed to be done. I am sorry for your lose of chickens and sorry......but you too, may need to shoot a dog.

5. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Not too sure what your laws are there, but here in Ontario Canada, you may shoot the dog.. It's unfortunate but, it's reality... I'm sorry for your loss, I wonder if you could print out a copy of local by-laws thats says you may shoot him, and give it to the owner.. More work for you on your part, but at least, he will be more than fair warned. All the best.

6. Since the owner doesn't want to do anything about it when you asked nicely for them to restain their dog. I would trap the dog and take it to the pound. When you get there, tell them what the dog has been doing and you have spoke to the owner but they refused to listen.

I used to LOVE dogs but since we moved to the farm, we are liking them less and less, expecially big dogs.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

First, [​IMG] Happy to meet you! Glad you're here! [​IMG] but I'm sorry that your first post is due to a situation like this. [​IMG]

Second, I'm not sure where you are from, laws differ so much there's no way to say if it's legal for you to shoot the dog. Some places have such things on line, hard to say about wherever you are. You can call the sheriff, or county government etc and ask, or drop into the county courthouse or city hall. If you have a pound, call them and ask what they do if you live trap this dog that's been killing your chickens, will they take it. Some pounds won't accept dogs people bring in.

Good luck with this, I know it's no fun at all.

8. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    So sad you have to go thru this and we have NEVER had to deal with an actual" dog killing our critters" situation but DO have a dog that belongs to neighbors that would not listen to requests to control their dog so we simply bb gunned him and he has NOT been here since(hes about 15 yrs old now and looks over this way but knows better)and I LOVE all animals but will kill one if they are threatening(and your case is past theatening so?) If you haul dog to shelter it could possibly be released to owner and would possibly start all over. I would end it. very sad but.....I just realized I lied-had 2 little dogs kill our 4h rabbits years ago and I wasn't brave enuf to kill them then so they had to sit in shelter for 2 wks before they were euthanized-now I would just shoot them because they would not have to tolerate sitting in shelter waiting for non-caring owner to show up(they had testicals)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    where i live it's legal. You're allowed to protect livestock at all costs and laws are in place about rambling pets harassing or hurting livestock. But i am in a very rural area. I could go out my front door, back door, upstairs bathroom and discharge a firearm and nobody would care. Only way they'd know is they heard the shot.

If you live in a town/city there may be laws about discharging a firearm in the limits (many cities do have this) in which case a live trap, a call to animal control, and a call to the police would be in order......

PS, I would call the police at this point. If you found the dog with dead chick in it's mouth, and then the owner allowed it to come back again?! Yup, call them or shoot the dog.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sorry about the loss of your chickens.

You can get a 4 pack of these and place them in the area where the dog is trying to get in, once they get these stuck on them they will run off trying to get it off, the more they try the worse the trap sticks to them, send them running home.

you could write a message on the back of the trap, mabe they will get it when they have to try and get the trap off.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by