Dogs killed my girls

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dawnann67, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Dawnann67

Dawnann67 In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2016
    Hello, 3 weeks ago 2 neighborhood dogs scaled my fence and killed all 9 of my 1 year old laying girls. Now I'm supposed to put a price on them for the owner to compensate me. I have no idea what to say they were worth. These girls were my babies and would come to me when called. Any help would be appreciated. I'm heart broken.

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Gasp! I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Tears are welling up and a lump is forming in my throat. I can’t imagine. I’m so sorry.
    As far as compensation... I have no idea. But those dogs and their owner should be reported.

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    The value of a one year-old laying hen is about fifteen dollars, if you got them from a hatchery and they weren't labelled "rare."

I am sorry for your loss.

Welcome to BYC. Wish it was under better circumstances.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. Kruchti

Kruchti Chirping

Mar 4, 2018
    Galena, Alaska
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I can not imagine how awful that would be.

I looked in a catalog and they had started chicken pellets that are between 15-22 weeks of age starting at $22.99 - $27.49. This does not count shipping.

check With other hatcheries and see what they sell for and it will give you an idea.

There is no way to put a price on the pets and how they came to you. Pets are priceless.

micstrachan and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. BlueChai

BlueChai Chirping

Feb 23, 2018
    I'm so sorry for your lost, that's absolutely heartbreaking. I recently lost 3 hens, but I could never imagine losing all of them. I'm so sorry. Are the dogs owned by anyone, and if so, is there any way to locate the owners?

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :hugs So sorry for your loss :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: