Dogs killing my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Angus2914, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Angus2914

Angus2914 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    North Middletown, Ky
    I have just had the most disturbing and disheartening occurrence take place. Neighboring dog came into my property and killed 18 of my chickens. I do have trail cameras up, so I do know the dogs and who they belong to. The problem that I have is that the owners of these dogs, say that they are just chickens. I have some really high priced GPS dogs, and I really hate for anyone to harm them, but my rationale to these people is, if my dog came across the fence and killed and destroyed your baby calf or cow, would it still be only that they are just a calf. I do not want to ruin the opportunity to become a good neighbor, but I will not tolerate another of my chickens to be killed and thought of as just chickens. My wife is retired and this is such a great hobby/retirement source of relaxation. We had one of the chickens that was injured very badly and eventually died, had another buddy that just stayed by her side, very sad. This is what makes med so mad and angry. I do not want to kill others dogs, but I can't keep replacing chickens and having people thinking of them as "just chickens". This really has me bumbed out.

2. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    I think you may have to sacrifice relationships with your neighbors who own these dogs. They can be taken to small claims court for replacement costs of your chickens. First though I would report this to animal control and show them the footage of the dogs killing your chickens. Possibly even make a police report.

Until this issue is solved you may have to contain your chickens. Have you looked into a electric fence to keep them safe from dogs?

Sorry for your losses

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'm a blunt and often thought as a rude person...That said, I'd have told the neighbors they need to contain their animal. Next time on your property it will be shot. Then negotiate costs of damages for birds. Small claims and police are a last resort. Had a neighbor's son kick a bird of mine breaking it's leg. Police were called and they paid a 300 dollar fine. No cash to me, certainly killed any neighbor relations and all in all a waste of time. Small claims courts cost to file, take a long time and again rarely see the cash. People will be ruled against then not pay....then bring them back to court as they are in contempt....then...then...and in the end you get nothing but drawing out that horrid relation with neighbor when it could simply be severed quick now by stating "If you like your dog you should keep it leashed. I kill chicken predators."

2 people like this.
  4. superlukee

superlukee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    Right down how much they owe you. Calculate it all, then tell us how much you were thinking. You should go and get paid for the damage their dog has done.

5. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Contact LE to find out the laws in your state. Do the dogs run free often? I've had people's dogs picked up by animal control when they were out on the run. I've also shot them; a dog attacking livestock is legal to shoot, here.

Don't let the situation continue because you are worried about hurting the feelings of the dog owner etc. It's not OK for dogs to run around destroying other people's property. As a responsible member of the community, you should do what you can to stop the carnage.

Very sorry for your loss, and I sure hope that you can find a good solution here. The sad thing is, often there are excellent dog leash laws on the books, but no one enforces them. That's why I think people should speak up. We need to start getting those laws enforced and dog owners need to start being responsible. Dogs are fantastic animals and they deserve better than to be turned out to run loose causing trouble.

6. Angus2914

Angus2914 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    North Middletown, Ky
    Thank you all for the replies. I own dogs and have a kennel to place them in when we leave, these folks just let their dogs run. We have respect for others and only want the same in return. Our dogs stay on our farm or they're with us at all time. We are getting set for retirement and raising chickens have been so much fun to do until these incidents. Its a venture that our whole family is involved with, not to mention the joy on the faces of the nieces and nephews when they see the chicks hatching in the incubators. Again, thanks for all of your enlightenment.

7. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

I agree completely with Egghead. Give them a warning (consider "three strikes" maybe) and if they kill more chickens, shoot them. If they are just out sniffing around, but are on your "turf", fire a gun in the air, and chase them off. I personally wouldn't shoot them unless they are actuvly chasing your birds.

I would consider getting a livestock guardian dog. Even a donkey or horse who doesn't like dogs can be of great help. I have a great pyrenees, and even though her sole purpose isn't to protect the chickens, she does it with great enthusiasm. She gets very agressive with unfamiliar dogs coming onto her territory. The worst thing about her is that she has no clue what a voice command is. If she gets out, better hope no one calls animal control, cuz she ain't coming home til she's had a solid run [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    First, I'd secure my chickens. I don't know how many you have, but I'd either build them a run attached to their coop (that's what I have) or look into Premiere electric fence netting. Many people on the forum use that and seem satisfied with it. I would report the kills to LE, but wait to press charges if you wish. Just let them know of the situation for now.

Confronting neighbors can be touchy. Especially if you threaten to kill their dogs. If those dogs ever go missing, you'd be the first place they look. I don't know what you have for "animal control" where you live, but where I live we are our own animal control. If a neighbor's dog comes and kills my chickens, I'd probably give it a chance, bring it home and tell them what happened. That neighbor may take care of the problem himself (that's pretty much how it is out here). If that dog came back, it likely wouldn't go back home. Some people get violent with people who kill their dogs.

9. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Seriously I would of shot there dogs no questions asked on my property killing and mauling my animals you were scared thought you could be next so you had no choice but to kill there dogs just my two cents

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    In PA we can legally shoot dogs hassling livestock. Chickens are livestock. Print out your State regs. and give them to your neighbors. Tell them the next time you will obey the regs. Call animal control and see what they say. If it was me, I would have aimal control down on their heads so fast it would make their heads spin!!
    So sorry this happened to you!,
    Karen

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by