dog's pad skin torn off

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by maple, Jul 17, 2011.

1. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    My dog was running around today and I don't know how she did it but she tore some of the pad off of her right paw. Now she's limping on it.

It's like if you were to skin some skin off...so there's no slit or anything...but a big hunk of skin is missing and I know it's tender to her.

Does anyone know how I should treat it and ways to make her feel better?

My poor wittle Molly dog. She's just so rambunctious and I feel she probably got it chasing the cat into the garage jumping over stuff like garden tools? Otherwise I don't know how it happened but that's my thought since she was tormenting the cat and barking in the garage earlier today when I was in the back cleaning the duck pen. She came when I called her but that's when I noticed her limp. She's about 45 lbs of lab mix but super hyper and full of energy...I think this wound has slowed her down though. And she's super strong...she could pull dog sleds...I'm serious.

So just lettin ya know a little about who she is. Tonight she didn't want to walk on it after we got out of the car when we went for a ride. My poor little girl.

2. maple

Apr 28, 2010
  3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    sounds like a good idea. Give her an aspirin. My old geezer dog is gimpy right now so I just gave him one also.

4. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    how much dosage for her, she's 45 lbs?

aw...poor poor geezer dog.

5. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    I've got the 81 mg tabs...cuz of my heart.

Don't make me google woman!

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Our heeler took a chunk of pad out a while ago. If it doesn't look like it needs vet treatment, you can treat at home. We disinfected it well, applied antibiotic ointment thrice a day (I think...whatever the directions say), kept it clean, and had a sock/vet wrap combo on her (and a plastic bag taped around that when she went outside to pee in the rain) that was changed twice daily. We made her stay on the couch, but the poor thing still tried to hobble pathetically after us as we moved about the house. Finally had to put her in a 'stay' command. She healed up pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Toby is about 65lbs and gets a full tab. the normal sized, not baby ones. You could probably give 2 or 3 of the little ones to molly.....start with 1 and see if it helps. Her feeling crappy will help keep her off of it to let it heal. If she feels FABULOUS, she is going to run around like an idiot and aggravate it.

8. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    She is looking pitiful right now. She keeps licking it...or she was...now she's asleep.

I have enteric coated aspirin and I just read on a website that dogs don't digest that really well and sometimes the whole pill is found in thier stool. What??? crap.

aw...punky...how's she feelin now?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  9. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    She is an idiot by the way. [​IMG] ...but I love her anyway.

10. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    The current standard dosage of aspirin recommended by most veterinarians is 5mg to 10mg per pound of the dog’s weight, or about 10-20mg per kg weight for every 12 hour period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by