Dogs & Roo's

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by beehumblewithme.com, Dec 4, 2017.

1. beehumblewithme.com

beehumblewithme.com Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2017
    I just recently brought home 2 roosters and will be adding chickens. I have 2 small dogs well Eazel is medium and he has attempted to go under the fence and succeeded. I'm afraid he'll hurt them so I have been pittinf him on his runner which he hates any suggestions that would help me would be greaty appreciated because I do intend on adding chickens. They'll be ready soon!

007Sean, Teila, penny1960 and 2 others like this.
  2. rjohns39

rjohns39 Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

My suggestion may sound cruel, but not meant to be. I put an electric fence around my birds to deter predators. I tried really hard to keep my avatar away from the fence, but one day she snuck in a sniff. It was the only time in her life I heard her yelp. She never went near the fence again.

ETA: You may also want to try an apron secured to the ground two feet up the fence and two fee out from the fence. Predator drive in dogs can sometimes be overwhelming for them.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    100% success - :thumbsup can't wish for more

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Unfortunately many dogs see chickens as a meal. And its hard to train this out of them. You can either do as rjohns has suggested, or keep the dogs locked up away from the chickens. My little 10 pound Maltese is sure he could eat my birds. He is kept on a leash when he's out in the yard and we built him a giant dog run so he has his freedom to run off his leash. But the dog never has access to my birds.

Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)

5. NikAndHerChicks

NikAndHerChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2017
    MI
    I agree with the other posters. Dogs tend to think chickens are living squeaky toys! My 9 lb Boston Terrier darted out the door while one of my kids was distracted & scared the poop out of my hens! There was a whole lot of barking & cackling, a few feathers went flying, but no permanent damage (thank God!!) Lesson learned. Sophie is on her lead at all times now. She's not even allowed in the dog run without supervision any more. Those feathered squeaky toys are just too tempting for her!!

The reccomended apron is an excellent tip! It will help deter all digging predators... not just the family dog!

007Sean, rjohns39, penny1960 and 2 others like this.
  6. birdofhermes

birdofhermes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2017
    i encourage my rooster and dog to stay close and they get along pretty well. my dog is blind but she knows there's an animal there that isn't a dog lol but i think they would still get along if she weren't blind

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    007Sean, rjohns39 and penny1960 like this.
  7. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Flock Master Premium Member

Hello:frow
    Welcome to BYC!!
    So glad to have you here!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!!
    There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
    The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
    Enjoy!:wee

8. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

You've received some good advice and tips already, so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

9. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens make the training real quiet an positive wish you 110 % success, another train of thought let the cockerel teach each one not sure I would encourage that one tho

Hope Hughes, 007Sean and rjohns39 like this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. As others have already suggested, electric fencing for the birds or 'Invisible Fence' for the dogs. Good luck.

007Sean, rjohns39 and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by