Dogs that watch over chickens

itstartedwith2

Chirping
Feb 23, 2015
Bancroft NE
My husband has been wanting to get a dog but I want to make sure my chickens will still get their free range time. Does anyone know of a dog breed that is great with chickens ( and toddlers we have 2 daughters) that would even chase off some predators? This would be an outside dog and would like to put it's dog house around the chickens

Ours is a mix of several herding breeds... German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, maybe some blue heeler.

I might go for livestock guardian or herding breeds, rather than hunting breeds!

Ours is awesome... he has an instinct I don't even know how to train for, to watch for eagles and birds of prey. He hates big soaring birds and runs and barks whenever they are near.

So far, our only hawk loss was when he was inside, on the couch. And now we make sure he's out whenever the chickens are, working!

I have two kids, eldest is 3.5 years old. Also two dogs that get along well with kids and spend most of their time outside, especially at night. They had to be trained but take the predator chasing very seriously.

Dated images. Even pup mature now.

See following thread with some details on how I setup my dogs. Process slow but I had experience causing such an approach.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426408/planned-poultry-guarding-dog

If you aren't sure that you can keep the dog from chickens, try a small dog. My dog is 23 pounds and the chickens are taller than him. Whenever he chases or barks at them, the chase him and try and peck him back.

My husband has been wanting to get a dog but I want to make sure my chickens will still get their free range time. Does anyone know of a dog breed that is great with chickens ( and toddlers we have 2 daughters) that would even chase off some predators? This would be an outside dog and would like to put it's dog house around the chickens
Although some breeds might be a better fit than others, any dog will need clear and consistent training to be a good protector of chickens and little humans.
It takes a lot of time and everyone in the household to be on the same page in training the dog.
It can take up to 2 years of training before dog can be left completely unsupervised with chickens.

One of my Aussies has been perfect with the hens - completely ignores them. The other, a puppy, has decided that she's going to be a chicken herder, so she's off to get some training on that. She doesn't hurt them, but loves to move them from one end of the barn to the other!

One of my Aussies has been perfect with the hens - completely ignores them. The other, a puppy, has decided that she's going to be a chicken herder, so she's off to get some training on that. She doesn't hurt them, but loves to move them from one end of the barn to the other!
I was thinking about that kind of dog! My husband has been thinking about a golden retriever does anyone have any ideas on that type?

I have a golden she is perfect with kids. The chickens took some training. Golden's are often bird dogs but having the chickens first and the dog just growing up with them will be a lot easier Golden's are easy to train and eager to please. After only a year ours now helps bring the chickens in if we need them in before dark. My golden was 5 yes old when we got our chickens. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Back
Top Bottom