DOGS! UGH!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cwcochran1961, Dec 3, 2013.

1. cwcochran1961

cwcochran1961 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    LURAY, VA
    I have read for a long time about peoples problems with dogs attacking their chickens. Well it finally happened.
    Two different neighbors and two different dogs came in an attacked my flock in my yard at the same time.. Unfortunately for me , we came home at the end of the attack with the predators still lurking around. Knowing who the owners of the dogs were, I immediately went to their doors. One neighbor, who raises his own chickens and cattle, had HIS OWN chickens killed by his dog. He didn't do anything about it and did not restrain the dog. I told him what happened, he apologized and said the situation would be taken care of. Two minutes later as I returned home, I heard two gun shots ring out.. No more dog.
    I went to second neighbor they were not home. I called Animal Control, they came immediately. Took a report and he did tell us" we had the right to protect our home and property by whatever means necessary". They posted a confinement order on the door of the second neighbor.. This neighbor came to the house the following day and paid us for our birds( 4 in total) and said that because the dog was a pit bull they were going to place the dog with another family.They were concerned about it being around their small children, now that it had tasted blood.
    We were offered the option to press charges against both neighbors but decided not to in the attempt to keep the neighborhood friendly.
    It could have gone a lot differently and I am please with the way the responsible parties owned up to their responsibilities for their animals behaviors.
    Unfortunately my flock suffered, I suffered. But I know now that I in fact do have good neighbors, although maybe a little naive.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The losses were unfortunate but also avoidable. Put up a fence to keep future dogs out. Otherwise chicken losses will be repeated and you are very likely not to catch dogs in the act next round to ensure their demise.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. saildog

saildog Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    I'm so sorry, I have stray dogs come through every 6 months or so and kill 1 or a few. It stinks.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had responsible neighbors.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It sounds like you have exceptional neighbors. Kudos to both of them for taking responsibility, and to you for accepting that instead of filing charges. It can be a delicate balance, sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I agree i am sorry you lost your babies[​IMG] but if you know there are dogs in the area loose or penned it is always better to have your birds i a secure area cause if they are running around unprotected it is no different than dangling a bone in front of them if they happen to get loose by accident.. also now that those dogs are gone you may find a problem with other varmets that they may have kept away.

So glade you worked it out with your neighbor,[​IMG] ya'll are gonna be by each other for a long while if you own your place.

7. boats317

boats317 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    Desoto, Mo
    I'm going thru the same thing right now, there are 2 small dogs and 1 bigger dog running around. And 1 of the smaller dogs worked its way into the run and took 1 of my buffs. There are a few things that bother me here.

1 i thought the run was secure...big mistake, but the problem is now fixed.
    2. those dogs cross my neighbors 18 acres went passed his 30 free range chickens and took one of mine in the run. Not that i wish his would have gotten eaten, but comon...
    3 and the biggest issue, is irresponsible pet owners letting their dogs run wild. I dont believe these are farrel dogs. So now my neighbor and myself have the rifles ready to protect our flocks.

worst part is, it was our first loss to something like this.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  8. Gumiho

Gumiho Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    FL
    I don't understand the "responsible / exceptional" neighbor comments. Honestly, both neighbors are anything but.

Both were irresponsible, both have no business owning dogs, and both dogs (and the OP's chickens) are the ones paying for the owners' short-comings.

The only up side I see in this scenario is that the OP was reimbursed for the birds (a blessing) and that hopefully the surviving dog will go to a less ignorant and irresponsible family (tasted blood? really?) and hopefully neither neighbor will get another dog.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    3 people like this.
  9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    An electric fence around your property has a good effect on everything that eats chickens as well as most things that don't. Watch Bullwinkle's introduction to an electric fence.

[​IMG]

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They were both irresponsible in letting their dogs roam (Or did the one get out? Sometimes that happens.) in the first place. But they did take responsibility for the actions of the dogs. One by putting his own dog down (should have been done before, I know), and the others by offering to pay for the chickens. If you read the numerous "My Neighbor's Dog Killed My Chickens" posts on here, you will see that the majority seem not to take any kind of responsibility. The standard answer seems to be, "Not my dog!". So, I stand by what I said. These neighbors appear to be the exception to the rule of dog owning neighbors. This story had a good ending, rather than neighbors being at war over one anothers' animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by