Dogs with chicks-interesting response

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tryingtohaveitall, Apr 27, 2009.

1. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Hi all

We have 16 day old chicks and a 3 year old golden retriever and her 2 year old son (cross between golden retriever and probably mostly black lab). We've been cautious about allowing the dogs near the chicks, but since it's a gorgeous day, we took the chicks outside. First, the big black dog (Bear) sniffed them, we stuck close, told him, "No!" when he seemed too interested and he left them alone.

Mama dog (Cassie) came over after a while and laid down. The chicks were all around both of them. The dogs (who normally get along great) started growling at each other and ended up breaking into a loud, scary dog fight! I was shocked, I've never seen them go after each other like this. Unfortunately, my 10 yo DS tried to jump into the mix and ended up getting scraped up and cut/bit in the process. Neither dog seems hurt and they're both subdued after that.

What's your impression of what happened? I think Bear was being protective of the chicks or jealous, trying to keep Cassie away but I'm not sure.

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think both dogs may have thought that they were protecting the chicks from each other.

Do make sure to keep a close eye on the possible bites on your son. They can get really infected really quickly.

3. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Agreed. My Moxie girl is the chicken dog and lets my Maggie know she can just back off.

4. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Thanks, for the response. I'll def be keeping a close eye on it. We cleaned it really well and put antibiotic cream on it.

5. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    My dogs have had scuffles like this on occasion. It is best to stay out of the way unless you can use a hose/stick/chair or something else to wedge between them and break them up. Usually these are quick spats and no one(dogs) gets hurt. It is more noise and posturing and teeth baring etc. It is inevitable that bites will happen to people though when you try to break up a fight with your bare hands. We don't have a layer of fur buffering things! Keep an eye on the wounds and keep them clean and all should be well. [​IMG] It is nice that they want to protect them chickies though! Mine only want to eat them, well, 2 out of 3 anyway. [​IMG] Good luck!

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Here is what happened:
    Bear came and investigated and then left. Cassie came and viewed the little ones as she would her own pups. Bear came back to the area to control the situation(in dog language he was supervising and controlling the goings on in the yard). Cassie gave a warning and told him to back off. Bear warned back that he was not going to stand for that. Cassie then needed to take stronger measures to get her point across and Bear wasn't going to back down. They got into a fight(which usually sounds way worse than it typically is - especially with coated breeds). You need to let Both dogs know that the chicks are Yours. Not theirs. And you are completely responsible And capable of taking care of them thank you very much.

If your son has deep puncture wounds you need to let it bleed a bit to clean the wound and wash it as well. Let it scab naturally and let it breath. If both your dogs are current on their shots and don't typically go in places where they are exposed to lots of other dogs you should be okay. Watch for any signs of infection such as a running angry redness.

My dogs have been in a couple fights and I usually end up screaming that their world as they know it will end if they don't stop. If they are some distance from me I usually end up throwing a food bowl or bucket in their direction to get their attention(not to hit them) which gives me time to get over there and seperate them. But typically all it takes is me yelling. Once they know that the alpha is really angry they split.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by