Dogs, yards, and chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahBeth9394, Apr 22, 2009.

1. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    There's this nice gal that is a regular participant in our area freecycle. She asks for all kinds of stuff (and gets quite a bit). I've gotten stuff from her as well. She has goats and chickens. A month or so ago she was looking for a Great Pyrenees. This is the absolute wrong choice for her. She is on a small lot with a little yard and a short fence. The dog couldn't get to a full run from one end of the yard to the next and would be sharing that yard with goats, chickens, and several kids yard toys.

There's a part of me that wants to find her a different dog and send her an email saying "hey it's not a GP but it would be a good fit". One that isn't too big for her yard and won't hop the fence and run off into the country. Something medium sized would be good. But I don't know what kind of medium sized dog is good for protecting goats and chickens (that is why she specifically wants a GP). She's reposted her ad today to find one.

Then there's a part of me that just smacks myself in the forehead and says bad idea.

2. Eggs-Actly

Eggs-Actly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Daytona - Florida
    If you are friends with this woman, not an acquaintance but a friend, then I would politely ask why this breed and then pause and let her answer. When she was done speaking I would politely suggest another breed and hand her a printout of what GP's actually require for exercise, their temperament, etc and again suggest another breed.

If you are not friends with her I would stay quiet. My mother always said "Don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong. You may find you can't smell your own stink." It took me years to figure out she meant that my crap stinks too. We can't make people live by our rules.

3. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    Yeah I don't want to contact her as we've only spoke once and answered each others ads. I think I would just hate to see a GP get stuck there. However if I could point her to another dog that would be a better match.... I thought an answer to her ad being something like "I know you were looking for a GP but there's a -insert breed here- that would make a great guardian for your flock. Just thought you'd like to know since this is your second try at finding a GP".

I don't know maybe I'm just ranting.

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I have two Great Pyrenees puppies and they are the most laid back dogs I've ever owned. No where near as energetic as my two German Shepherds or my Min Pin or our Catahoula mix - all of whom share our farm with our free ranging chickens, ducks, and peacocks. Our goats and geese are in a small fenced off area and when the GP puppies get bigger, one or both will be left in there each night to help guard against our many bobcats, coyotes, and foxes. Except for the MinPin, all 5 dogs stay free and outside at night and keep the predators away but the Shepherds will take off into the woods to chase them off while the GPs will stay in the pen with the herd.

So, I don't agree that a GP is a bad choice for someone with a small lot that has goats and chickens. I know people who have that same situation here in the country and the GP is in the pen with the herd at all times.

GPs are not high energy dogs. I can't wear my Shepherds out - could throw balls for them till my arms fell off, then they go for long swims in the pond, then run all over the farm all day chasing off every hawk and scent they pick up and they never take a nap or sleep that I see. The GPs, well' that's all they do is sleep and lay around and they're puppies. Well lay around and eat - they eat more food than my two grown Shepherds combined. You may want to inform the lady about how much they eat.

5. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    Would you be concerned about a GP jumping a fence that is just waste high. I'm imagining it going after something that came stalking the goats and chickens like a fox or coyote since it would be the only guardian dog at the property. I ask because you have experience with them. I on the other hand am thinking GP's are big dogs and big dogs need yards and fences they can't easily hop over. I've always had big dogs and have always had a fence that could keep them in. But I have had several neighbors that have had dogs that easily bounce over. They end up becoming a nuisance.

(I'm still not considering contacting this lady but I think it's an interesting topic)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    I agree, GP (adult ones) are pretty laid back generally, I do housecalls with a veterinarian and we see a GP out on a small farm and its always just sleeping next to the sheep. It only has a tiny fence too. I think she says she uses an invisible fence-? because it wandered before...not sure

Anyway- AT LEAST suggest that she find a GP 'rescue' and pick out a mature dog who's personality may fit her needs (thats been around animals).

A puppy will have much more energy and may bring caos to her animal, kid and toy filled yard.

Maybe she will find the perfect already trained and MELLOW guard dog at the GP rescue.

???

e

7. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    From what I know of her situation she is looking on freecycle because she needs to find it for free. There are a few GP/Anatolian mixes in the county at shelters. One is a rescue and they require 5ft fencing. I don't know how it is here but where I used to live the humane society wouldn't adopt out dogs to people who rented without a consent form from the landlord.

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:The beauty of GPs is that they LOVE their herd and stay with them. Yes, I guess they could jump a waist high fence if they wanted to but I don't think they would. I think they would stay with their herd.

I do have a picket fence around my back yard and on rare occassion I lock all six dogs in the yard, like this weekend when all the grown kids were here visiting and the guys were all skeet shooting. It drives Rex, our oldest Shepherd crazy - he actually wants to chase the skeet. Anyway, I can lock them in the fenced yard, which is probably less than waist high and they don't jump it, even when they really, really, really want out.

I think GPs with their laid back attitudes and gentle loving spirits are a great breed of dog for someone with small kids, a small lot, and goats and chickens. I'm sure she can still take the dog out for walks and that the kids will play with the dog. I like the advice of getting an adult from a rescue organization but even my puppies are the easiest puppies I've ever had. They are so laid back that I didn't even know one was sick (with Cocci) till she stopped eating then I KNEW something was wrong because man those dogs eat. But until then it was hard to tell the lethargy from the fact that she was always laying around sleeping. Our house is raised and there is a cool sandy ground under it and the puppies can often be found just laying in the cool sand just under the house and they won't come out even if called - they just look at you as if to say "hey, I'm comfortable here".

9. SarahBeth9394

Aug 23, 2008
    Thank you for all the info. I've learned alot. Then I looked at the shelter dogs and wanted to bring one home for me. lol Hubby has already said "no more animals". I would be the one in the dog house.

10. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:I've worked with many rescues and shelters over the years. My specialty is handling extra large dogs ( mostly german shepards) that have either been abused or neglected. I foster them and train them. I basically show them not all humans are bad. Once they are rehabilitated, they are rehomed.

My suggestion is to find a GP rescue possibly in your area ( or at least nearby) and have her call them. Most rescues need foster parents, and she could try being a foster parent. It's free, and it's rewarding most of the time. 3 of my own dogs came to me that way. She'll also get to know the breed better.

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by