Dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicknmania, Nov 24, 2008.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Came home from running some errands in town...wasn't gone more than an hour or so. The chickens were outside enjoying the mild weather today, despite the rain. When we came home we saw two dogs I have never seen before and a bunch of scattered gold and white feathers in front of the barn. You know the term seeing red. I jumped back in the car and chased the dogs, driving across our field. If I had caught them I probably would've run over them. Wild animals are one thing. Stray dogs are a people problem. They ran down the road towards a neighbor's house several doors down. Excuse the term, but they are dirtbags. They have been in trouble with the law several times and also they abuse their animals...either keep them tied outside with no water or shelter, or let them run loose. They are a disgrace to the rest of the neighborhood, but we can't get them to leave...our next door neighbor even offered to buy their house once in an effort to get them to go away. I don't know if these dogs were from there, I have never seen them before. I came back and called the dog warden. They will come out tomorrow, but not if there is no evidence of the dogs. I can't file a claim b/c I can't find any bodies, and b/c our dog is not licensed (she will be tomorrow). I went out and searched everywhere...there were chickens scattered hiding everywhere, and can account for all but about four or five of them. I am so worried they are injured and hiding in the woods...it is freezing and pouring rain now and supposed to turn to snow later. I took our dog out to llook...she is good at finding lost or injured chickens...she came up zip though and really had no interest at all, so maybe they are hiding in the barn. I am sure at least one of our Golden Comets is either injured or dead. The dog warden said, if the dogs come back, shoot to kill. A couple of years ago our dog would never have let those dogs come up the driveway, but she is getting older now and sleeps a lot, I think she is getting deaf too. Good dogs are hard to find.

2. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Well crud, been there done that. Lost 18 of my 11 week olds to the neighbors dog. She went right through the electric fence.

So sorry, I sure hope ya find some more and not that it will help but chickens sure are tough.

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Very sorry to hear about that. I keep assorted firearms handy just for that reason.

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I am so sorry. How awful. And those poor dogs aren't to blame, it is those darn owners. Good luck and again, so sorry.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry. I hope you find the missing ones. [​IMG]

6. sorry you lost some of your chickens, hope they are just scared and come home, my guinas are outside in the rain and cold and they are ok so hopefully your chickens will be to [​IMG] marrie

7. poussin_noir

poussin_noir Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    How terrible, I hope you find your missing chickens.

8. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I just went out there now to feed, and count heads. A lot of them were already roosting and wouldn't come down to eat. I counted 34, we have 38 total. One of our golden penciled hamburgs is missing, one golden comet, and I can't tell what else, since they are in the rafters and won't come down. If they are injured I'm sure they are hiding...I just hope they survive the other predators in the woods if they are hiding out there, not so worried about the weather. Maybe we can find them tomorrow. We will look again later when my son comes home. I am surprised I have not found any bodies...which means they are probably either injured or too scared to come out, since the dogs didn't take anything away with them. I am so worried the dogs will come back. I will do some inquiries later when everyone is home from work..I'll find out whose dogs they are.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  9. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Quote:Just curious, what'd you do? Did the neighbor at least pay you for them? Is the dog dead? hehheh [​IMG]

10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Beef up your fences!

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by