Dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NarutoTn, Jan 27, 2010.

1. NarutoTn

NarutoTn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Dyersburg
    i a dog was in my yard and it had a big roo in its mouth and my dad tried to shoot with a 22 it but it was hualing but!!!!it was a big black dog like a husky but not a husky at all.i need help if it comes back.i had not seen it yet but that chicken was bigg enough to fill it up for a few days.the dog was otu back.it ran a good 100 yards before it was off our land.

2. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Sounds like a flat coat retriever! They are bird dogs, and sneaky little critters too! the look like black huskys in the dark! Good luck! The good news, they aren't very smart just really high strung![​IMG] They have thick hides too! So when ya catch him kick extra hard!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    use a shotgun... 22 is a bit unreliable for running dogs.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Use care shooting any rifle especially if your property is only 100 yds from someone else's land. A ricochet could kill or maim someone or even a child, got forbid. Shotgun is the thing to use in that situation. There are .22 cal birdshot rounds available, but don't know if they would do much if not close.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Protect your chickens first, then worry about the dog coming back. A good fence will do wonders.

Sorry about your roo.

6. drdolittle

drdolittle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Downeast
    i second ranchhand....
    once a dog has a taste of chicken it WILL be back. Be aware tho that in most places now shooting a dog is animal cruelty and can come with a heavy penalty....You should contact your local warden. they can figure out whose dog it is and get you compensation. plus the person can be fined for letting their dog roam. you should try to catch the dog and or take a photo of the dog in action- as proof and possible court evidence if needed.

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Here in TN we are allowed to protect our live stock by any means. If that means using a gun then it is within the property owner's right. TN also has a state wide leash law so the dog owners are liable for any damage done.

That said I would call the Sheriff and let them know about the problem. That way its been recorded that a problem exists.

In the mean time you are going to have to keep your birds up because it will be back.

8. NarutoTn

NarutoTn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Dyersburg
    only chickens that i have not in a coop are 4 roos and they sleep on the coops top.they are all put up good. i hope this weather will not effect us to bad.ty for advise.i dont have a shotgun.all i have is 2 22s and a bb gun.i live in the country so ill see wat i can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by