dogs

chickenracer

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I am have problems with my dogs they go after my chickens and I can't stop them they just play with them until they die its only when I'm not looking any advice

Last edited:
Some dogs leave chickens alone after having the carcass of one of the chickens hanging around their neck for a week. My uncle tried it with his dog because she was chewing shoes, and it worked!

I hope this is helpful. I've also heard this doesn't work with some dogs, but I guess it's a start.

I have the same problem with my dog Bull, when I'm outside, he is just as calm around them, and will behave when the girls go to playing and hopping around. Yet when I'm not there,he is good up until they go hopping around and playing, then he tries to get playful with them, so if I have to go inside for more than just a few seconds, I have to put Bull on a chain. Its just whats best right now.

You need to keep your dogs confined or your chickens if you are not watching.
Constant training of "leave it" when the the dogs are with you.
Good luck.

It can be difficult to train digs to leave chickens alone, but is very worthwhile in the end as the dog can end up being a friend and protector of your flock.

The usual mantra of rewarding good behaviour whilst a sharp "NO!" and stopping the bad behaviour usually works, but it takes time. I used to sit with my Border Collie on one side and a chicken in my lap and feed treats to both. The dog soon got used to the idea that chickens around = treats. After a short while the treats were no longer necessary and all I needed to say was 'Good Boy' enthusiastically. i still often give him a treat to reinforce his good behaviour when I am feeding the chickens. My dog is now a great boon around the chickens.

I hope you have success with yours.

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom