1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by twindaddy43, Sep 27, 2011.

1. twindaddy43

twindaddy43 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    NE, OK
    Has anyone had any success training dogs to watch over their chickens? I have heard of using Anatolian Shepperds for this purpose but I don't know anyone who has had actual success.

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Lots of discussion on this - do a search using terms like Anatolian, LGD, Pyr, Great Pyrenees and look in the other pets section.

3. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Lots of people do it. They are called Livestock Guardian Dogs (LGD).

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Lots of people do it. They are called well trained dogs. [​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have a Rottweiler,pitbull, Great pyrenees,and anatolian/great pyrenees cross as flock guardians and they do a wonderful job here watching out for all the free rangers here and there are 100's.
    [​IMG]
    I have an Aussie for rounding up birds and herding , but i think she would rather play with a predator than kill it [​IMG]
    This is Tucker and all around good dog with family friends and birds he also watches for aerial predators.
    [​IMG]
    This is Gracie she is the predator killer here and she is ruthless she is also my catch dog when hog hunting but when it comes to the flocks she is their best friend
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my AS/GP cross he at chicks at first because he was always hungry and thought everything was food but i upped his feeding to 3 times a day and uses the water hose to squirt him when i caught him going after the chicks and problem was solved now he is a wonderful LGD .
    his puppy photo
    [​IMG]
    he is all grown up now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Martie, she is the lead dog here and a great flock dog she also watches for aerial predators.
    [​IMG]

This is Abbie all around good herding dog but not a killer of anything
    [​IMG]

6. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Ihave an idiot boxer that is NOT allowed near my babies..ugh he is impossible! He goes up to their run and lifts his leg at them peeing through the fencing..He has such a high play drive that anything smaller can't keep up. his 62# pounce would literally crush my hens..

7. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    What about dogs that are bred to go after birds? I have a three year old labrador/spaniel mix that caught a spruce hen once when we were out romping in the woods, and he desperately wants to catch himself a raven. My other dog is a two year old husky/blue heeler mix. Can they be trained to guard the chickens instead of chasing them? I'm most concerned about the labradaniel. Not getting chicks till next spring, so it's not an issue yet, but I'd be curious to know methods of training retriever type dogs NOT to retrieve!

8. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Well, gun dogs are made to follow instruction/be trainable (as opposed to breeds that are bred to work independently), so they can generally be trained to leave things alone, but they typically will not truly guard them. They may guard the area, as territoriality, but usually it has little to do with the birds, it's a space thing.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have a lab pup out of my old lab that passed away and both were and are great with my flocks and my old lab that passed was used for duck hunting and did fine with the ducks here.
    Guess it just depends on the dog because i have had dogs in the past raised with my flocks and still killed my birds when they got older and trying to train them out of it was hopeless

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'm no professional trainer by any means, but I do believe I can train most any dog what he's allow to do and not do. "You" have to be willing to take the time and have the patience to see it through. The dog has to know your alpa can sense your calm, controlled demenor. If you're a flighty unsure type, you are in for a long haul and most probably dissapointment.

This is a bad picture but it's Morgan's 3rd week with the chickens. He's nearly 4 and till 3 weeks ago he didn't know what a chicken was. He finds them interesting and now they are his. He can be a little bit off from them and hear one sqawk and he up and going to check on the problem. No, I couldn't for a better dog for my needs, and he's only 63 lbs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by