Dogs...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BullardBarnyard, Apr 10, 2012.

1. BullardBarnyard

BullardBarnyard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Well, I am in need of advice. Our dog has her heart set on devouring some of our Girls. She tosses and turns and runs in her pens whenever the girls are outside. We have pretty good defences, but hey, shes determined. We don't want E. Wire, since we want it to be a "meet-all-needs-modern-fancy-pay-for-its-self coop. Ideas? Advice?.... [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Train the dog, on leash using commands...

I personally use verbal and leash corrections, others have other suggestions.

Praise when she is not fixed on the chickens, corrections when she lunges or pulls...

3. BullardBarnyard

Apr 10, 2012
    She's not quite young and shes very rambunctious (Apoligies for spelling...) and the dogs have their separate pen fairly close to them, so its hard when they think its in their territory. I appreciate it, though, but as many ideas as you have are very much appreciated, Fire.[​IMG]

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

OK, put up a visual barrier between the two pens?

5. BullardBarnyard

Apr 10, 2012
    We did. I'll get pictures asap. It's storming atm though. We used chicken wire, and I must say, it's worked. But it's better to be safe than sorry, so thank you for the advice youve already given. Dogs have been known to chew through it, so thats all I'm worried about.

6. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    We use a water spray bottle with some apple cider vinegar in it, in addition to leash training. We also have a remote collar that we already used for off leash hunting purposes, so our dog knows the beep means you better stop whatever you are doing or a shock is coming.

The spray bottle works really well, but the timing is key, just like with any training technique.

7. GrandmaChickie

GrandmaChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    This doesn't help with training your dog, but just thought I would note that our dog pen is within sight of our chicken coop, and we like it that way. If any critters come snooping around the coop at night, our dogs sing out and scare them off!

8. BullardBarnyard

Apr 10, 2012
    That's exactly Why I like it so much, having it where it is and stuff. Thanks for your post, good to know I'm doing something right![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by