Doh! She left the chick outside the coop!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2pinkmom, Sep 5, 2010.

1. 2pinkmom

2pinkmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Broody hen hatched one out of eleven eggs so far. I've kind of giving up hope that the others will hatch now - she was actually off the nest today long enough for another hen to lay an egg in there. She was very proud to take the 3 day old chick outside with her, and spent most of the afternoon strutting around the chicken yard with her baby. I went out to close the coop this evening, and heard a chick chirping loudly. Found the little guy sitting there next to the coop all alone. Of course this happens on one of the first evenings to get down into the 60s since June. I picked up the chick and put it back with mama, who seemed surprised, but began clucking to it and fluffed it into her.

Is this a weird occurence? I suppose it's possible she returned to the nest because additional eggs were hatching, but nothing had even popped this afternoon. Do I need to play Chick Protective Services and take the little one to raise in the brooder?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Ohhhhhh. I do hope they little one makes it with momma. Maybe you will have to raise him. Do you think that the rest of the eggs are no good? Hopefully momma hen will know whats best, and take good care of him, along with the first baby.

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Can the chick get up on the ramp?

I'd say leave the chick with her but keep an eye out at end of day in case it needs a boost. It may need a day or two to learn how to get in, and maybe momma didn't do a good job of teaching it (or maybe its not the brightest peeper on the block).

Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  4. 2pinkmom

2pinkmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Hmm, good point about the ramp. I'll check for the chicky earlier in the evening tomorrow. Hope he or she didn't get too much of a
    chill today...

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    OMG, it's a good thing you found the little guy before he was left alone too long. You might consider removing the unhatched eggs -- I'd suspect they're no good and will soon start to stink to high heaven. Those eggs might cause Mama's focus to be a little fractured. Is this her first hatch?

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by