1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DOH! Thought I had split peas...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 12, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You know how you plan a pantry meal based on what's already in the house? I always keep split peas in the house... or so I thought. I started to make some split pea soup today. Went to my pantry and had no peas!!
    [​IMG]

Guess I get to walk to the store in a few. ARG.

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    did something just like that a few weeks ago!

nothing like that to put your dinner plans off!

better get the walking boots out!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yeah try making chicken and dumplings and have no chicken.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:that never happens here... just sent 55 frozen chickens to my friend's house in exchange for the hog and cow she sent here.

if i run out (45 more in freezer) i can just go outside and get one! [​IMG]

have one soaking in brine for tomorrow right now...yummy!

and tonight, cinnamon french toast made with homemade cinnamon bread. almost forgot to make it this morning though! yikes!

5. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    I got split peas if you want em. CATCH!

How cool that you can walk to the store. My gosh, I'd have to take food, water, a change of clothes and some striking paper with with me if I had to walk to the nearest store. I sometimes panic when I run out of certain things.....Like striking paper! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  6. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Been & back! the grocery store is only 3 blocks from my house... 2.5 if you take the alley instead of the street. It's a 3-4 min walk.

I just missed the rain! The Pacific NorthWest is getting an awful storm today, complete with wind, rain, snow, sleet, frogs, plague, and bowling balls (or so it would seem, if you watch the news!). It was getting REALLY windy - I was cold in my wool coat, sweater, scarf, mittens & hat!!

7. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I was going to make cranberry sauce a few months ago, got some frozen cranberries out of the bag started boiling them, they started to split open like they are suppose to but where GREEN in the middle?? I was like what the heck, checked the bag......... they were GRAPES.

8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I made split pea soup today, it was delish!!

9. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I love that you tell this story & your signature line is:
    "In my house, if it comes out of more then one can it's considered homemade!"

10. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL........... E for Effort maybe?? I like to cook but really (I'm not all that good at it) LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by