Doh!

edselpdx

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Portland, OR
OK. Artemis, my lovely little BR laid her first egg on 8/17 neatly in the nest box, and laid daily except one day until 8/31. On 8/31, I got one in the nest box from Demeter, the BO (judging from egg song and behavior).

No eggs since 8/31, and here it is 9/6. Been taking them their treats, and checking the nest box, where all eggs had been laid. Been talking to them about slacking. Benn reading online and reassuring myself that they were just young pullets (DOB for all 3 is 3/31) working things out. Been checking Artemis especially for signs and symptoms of internal laying. Been searching their pen and coop for eggs daily. Been scrutinizing poop. Everyone's happy and healthy.

Today, I moved the poop board for it's weekly cleaning. And what to my wondering eyes should appear...but a clutch of 12!?! eggs. They're apparently all laying now, as there are 3 distinct shades of brown and sizes (and one bullet-shaped one that's gotta be a double yolker.) No one's broody, but they've decided that corner is better.

Lesson learned. Sorry ladies for the "slacker" comments. Guess I gotta make the nest box more attractive again.

I have golf ball in my nest boxes.

IMG_0651.jpg
0331091759.jpg

This morning there's a huge fuss out in the back yard as the girls investigate, only to find that their secret stash is gone, and the "favorite corner" blocked. Much distressed clucking and hopping in and out of the nest box... they're actually pretty funny pacing around all concerned like they've forgotten something important.
tongue.png

And I do have a wooden egg in their nest box already. The nest box has pine shavings in it, any suggestions on changing it up? Straw? Unfortunately the feed stores here are all closed today, so I'll have to see what I can do later this week. Their nest box is about 2.5' wide, and external attached box, nice and dark and protected. Maybe I will have to put in a divider and make it into 2 boxes to make it "cozier", although the corner of the coop in the 5" between the poop board and the wall wasn't exactly private. Or hang a curtain to block it off better?

Last edited:
I have 2 community nest boxes. The one has wide strips of burlap down the front of it and the other one doesn't. They always prefer the one with the burlap, so I think they do like privacy.

Back
Top Bottom