Doing a study on hobbyist mealworm farms - Come enlighten me!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WillK, Nov 23, 2016.

1. WillK

WillK Just Hatched

Nov 5, 2016
    Hi all,

I'm performing a lot of research on hobbyist chicken owners and mealworm farmers. Some of you may have seen a post over on the random ramblings section gathering research on hobbist chicken owners already (link).

I've been lurking Backyard Chickens for a few weeks now while researching for a final year undergraduate project I am undertaking over the next 10 months.

If anyone is interested in what I'm doing, I'd love to create a thread here keeping my progress up to date. I'm currently focusing on enabling smaller homes to grow a sustainable food source for chickens. I know this is an area that is popular here, so I hope that this post doesn't seem like spam, and that many of you will find this area as interesting as I do! I've learnt a lot from the mealworm thread on here, and I'd love to stimulate some discussion on issues, solutions and general opinions of mealworm farming!

To help me through the industrial design process I've put together a short questionnaire to help me gather information about demographics, market size, current habits etc..

You can find the questionnaire here: https://will340.typeform.com/to/q4drQC

Thanks
    Will

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. Birdlover 13

Birdlover 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    South Africa
    Nice questionnaire!

3. WillK

WillK Just Hatched

Nov 5, 2016
    Thanks for answering! Would love to get some more feedback and start a discussion on past attempts (successes or failures!) that people have had.

How many mealworm do you feed to your chickens? Is it more of a treat or to suppliment their diets?

4. Birdlover 13

Birdlover 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    South Africa
    I use them as treats.

5. WillK

WillK Just Hatched

Nov 5, 2016
    Bump!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by