Doing and worrying too much!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by [email protected], Jun 28, 2010.

1. danielviger72@yahoo.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Hey everyone! For weeks before getting my chickens, I studied,watched,talked about and read just about anything I could get my hands on.
    What I came away with is that chickens are resilient creatures. I grew up with chickens, and found that my Uncle who was fantastic with them, never did all this crazy stuff that we have today. If one happened to get sick or ill or have an issue of some sort, he just pulled that one aside. Raising chicks was never that hard for him, and I for the life of me, don't remember a single lost chicken due to the disease genre's that I have read about. Heat lamp, enough room to stretch and some sawdust.. along with food and water was all he ever gave them. Maybe something in the water with the chick starter, but that was it! Keep them clean, don't handle them like you would a puppy. Keep things dry and clean.. and walla! No problems!

Just my thoughts..on thinking things and worrying ourselves to death over a type of bird that has been around since the dinosaurs!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck!

Dan
    Maine

2. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I know, but where is the fun in that? [​IMG]

3. danielviger72@yahoo.com

Apr 15, 2010
    Hollis Center, Maine
    LOL that's true.. where would be without the drama...TNT television doesn't deliver like a good chicken!! lmao!

4. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    That's because they didn't have BYC and the rest of the internet at their fingertips to learn about all of these "variables" and things that potentially can go wrong![​IMG] They were also waaaay too busy working the farm and tending to daily living chores(most chores that are now obsolete for most of us...think laundry by hand, dishes by hand, growing food, preparing meals from scratch, etc. etc.... Those chickens were just a side thought. Although we(us chicken dorks) do tend to overanalyse things...but it is soooo much more of a hobby and for enjoyment for most of us these days. And lets face it...it offers WAY more good wholesome entertainment then most things on TV!!![​IMG] I watch countless hours of "chickie TV" out my kitchen window everyday![​IMG]

5. danielviger72@yahoo.com

Apr 15, 2010
    Hollis Center, Maine
    That's awesome Kerri!! So true.. but I'm only 38.. and I'm only talking 10 years ago..lol But you are absolutely right!! I love to sit with the chicks and feel the stress roll right off my shoulder's...if I had known how easy it was to destress this way.. chickens would have been here ALOT sooner! LOL

6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Yep! Let's see two toddlers melting down on the floor....my thoughts...."Hmmmm....wonder what the chickens are doing????"...instant distraction![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by