doing celebration dance at our house today!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanderseek, Jul 14, 2010.

1. wanderseek

wanderseek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    east central Indiana
    OH MY GOSH!!!!! I went out to feed/water the chickies, and one of my ausies was in the nesting box panting, and wouldn't come out for water or food. She didn't even spook and go running away when I get close, as she usually would. I'm thinking....she's acting like she's got an egg under her. But I wouldn't know cause our hens have never laid. And she can't be just yet. She's too young. Isn't she? So I reached in to pet her. She growled. Pet her again, she growled again. I pushed her side/wing area up and to the side. She stood up and there was OUR FIRST EGG!!! OOOOhhh! My husband had asked me to pick him some tomatoes from our garden. I took the egg inside and told him I had a surprise for him. He said, "You picked me a big, ripe, juicy tomato?" I smiled and told him to close his eyes and hold out his hands. I put the egg in his hand. He opened his eyes to see his tomato, and was shocked to see the egg! We both laughed, squealed, jumped around like we had a baby or something! So exciting! Then, we went out to clean the nest boxes to prepare for more eggs, and Gilda the hen was sitting there again. On top of another egg!! Aaaaaaghh!!!! So cool! Well, we ate them both and they were so satisfying. So rich, pretty, orange, delicious. I know most of you have been through this before, so you'll understand my happiness. But I never thought it would be so awesome to find our first egg(s). [​IMG] Yaaaaayyy!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
  3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Yahooooo!! It's a wonderful feeling, congrats!! [​IMG]
  4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] Congrats on your 1st eggs!
  5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    First eggs are very special, congratulations to you and the hens!
  6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    YEAH!! [​IMG] WOO HOO! [​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!!!!!! [​IMG]
  8. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps