Doing Fecal Floats at Home

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Nov 2, 2015.

1. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I made the plunge... and invested less than $300 for all I need to do my own testing at home. My vet is awesome and is very reasonable on her pricing, only $16 per exam, but now I can do my own testing without having to drive 25 miles and I can afford to do each pen independently. I have assisted in many exams so I feel pretty assured that this is going to be pretty easy, and if I do need to I can still run one in that I am unsure of.

[​IMG]

chickisoup and casportpony like this.
  2. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Does this work for chickens as well, or just Peafowl? And what exactly does it test for? This looks really interesting.

3. KsKingBee

It works for all types of birds. It is an exam of the feces to look for Cocci, worms, and worm eggs under a microscope.

chickisoup and shadow rabbit10 like this.
  4. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    It's not only KsKing Bee .... bur DOCTOR KsKingBee !

chickisoup and KsKingBee like this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can do your dog's, too!

-Kathy

chickisoup likes this.
  6. KsKingBee

And the cat, the ducks, the guineas, the chickens, the wild turkeys that come through...

7. PertyGertie

PertyGertie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    Just wondering if you found a good link of how-to do your own float. Also did you find good a good place that will show how to identify what you've found on the slide?

8. KsKingBee

The bible reference book is the Veterinary Parasitology fifth edition by William J. Foreyt. I also found a good article by a Dr. at K State that was a good read.

I did make on mistake when buying my microscope, I did not buy a high enough magnification. You need at least an 80 power to 100 power scope, I bought only 60X and I can only see worm eggs. Cocci takes at least 80X so a new one is on the way. AM Scope has a really nice Vet Lab unit on sale (50%) off right now that I am planning to order this week for $277.

Again, if you like videos, Youtube has lots of them and different methods you can try.

DwayneNLiz and chickisoup like this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    New scope, how exciting! Which one are you getting? [​IMG]

-Kathy

10. Argus

Argus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    Hmm, a new way to spend money "for the good of the birds?" Usually this time of year I decide I need a "better" incubator. A microscope sounds much more believable!

DwayneNLiz and KsKingBee like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by