1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Doing in just 1 bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by columbiacritter, Apr 5, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I am removing just 1 rooster today and I don't have a pot big enough to scald him. How hard is it to pluck them without scalding? Or should I just skin him?

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I can be done although scalding makes it a little easier. I've read some other posts where depending on how you "do" it, the feathers can literally come right out. I believe the one method was to use a very sharp knife and insert it in the roof of the mouth into the brain and give it 1/4 turn. Can't remember what they called that method and I've never tried it.

3. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:It's called "Pithiing" not something I'm capable of doing.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Me neither. All you can do then is try to pluck and if it's too difficult, then skin. I've dry-plucked a few and it was ok until I got to the wings. Those are tough. Good luck -

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've found dry-plucking to be fairly easy and work fairly well. (I suck at scalding anyhow [​IMG]) There is variation among birds -- may relate to where exactly I catch them with the hatchet, I dunno -- but I think it is a good option for one bird.

Yes, the flight feathers of the wing (and sometimes the big tailfeathers) can be difficult to remove, but if you get frustrated or if you can't get them out, even with pliers, without ripping the skin up, it is easy to just cut off the end segment of the wing and the tip of the tail and discard them, which really does not affect the eating qualities of the carcass at all and can save a lot of colorful language.

Good luck,

Pat

6. oldsoftie

oldsoftie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Chandler, Indiana
    When I was younger, my parents used to scald our chickens by heating water on the stove in a large pot, and taking that outside and pouring the hot water over the chicken, thouroughly getting it soaked. It seemed to work well, although I was too young to "participate".

Brad

7. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    For one bird, I would just skin.

Most of my cooking (curry, soup, etc) I don't use the skin. I only eat the skin when grilling or roasting. So what do you plan on doing with the chicken?

8. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:I skinned him. Man I am NEVER trying to butcher one of the extremely feathered varieties like the cochin I just did. man what an incredible pain!!!

From now on it's low feathered meaties for me!

9. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    This is good to know! LOL! We did our 5 roosters by scalding and the feathers were very easy to do. We got a cheap stock pot at Walmart for this. I'm going to look at our flea market this summer for more big pots. We're taking our meaties to a gal that processes them for 2 dollars a bird. Well worth the mess and the time to us for as many as we are going to do.

10. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i use a bucket

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by