Doing much better but what was wrong with her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bakohens, Aug 17, 2010.

1. bakohens

bakohens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    Ouiser, my 5 and half month old Barred Rock, started acting sick last Friday - listless, fluffed up, not eating or drinking, hunched back, comb flopped over, tail down, and green poo. I checked out her vent and it didn't appear swollen or inflamed. Also, I couldn't feel an egg, but her eggs are so small right now that she could have been hiding it between her legs and I wouldn't have noticed.

After reading multiple posts and doing multiple web searches, I tried just about everything - force feeding her olive oil, honey water, tums, and giving her warm baths. And after watching her not get any better on Saturday, I decided to get some antibiotics. I went to the feed store on Sunday morning, and after they laughed at me for being worried about one sick chicken (they are not my favorite feed store but the one I like isn't open on Sundays), they recommended Agrimycin-343 to which I added to her water.

On Monday afternoon, she ate a little on her own, and it is now Tuesday, and she is looking pretty good - still not back to her ornery self but her tail is up, she's not as fluffy, and she is eating and drinking on her own. I haven't been able to check out her poo yet. She also hasn't laid an egg; tomorrow will be one week since she laid (she started laying 4 weeks ago (7/22)).

So, what was/is wrong with her? egg bound? Worms? Random chicken virus?

Also, how long should I give her antibiotics? And (fingers crossed) when she does start laying, how long should I wait before I eat her eggs?

I would welcome any other advice!

THANKS!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

All I know is when my chick had what I think in retrospect was an ear infection, the vet had her on baytril for something like 3 weeks!

3. bakohens

bakohens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    Wow! Three weeks seems like a long time.!

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Seemed long to me too but her progress was so gradual that it probably took two weeks for her to seem normal again. Even when i put her back in the coop after 18 days she was still a little off. She recovered faster in the coop and was herself again in another 3-4 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by