1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Doing the deed!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ab2401, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ab2401

ab2401 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Woodstock, AL
    So yesterday I busted my chickens doing the nasty and again today, how log will they do this before she starts to lay eggs?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Chickens will lay eggs even if there is no rooster around. The eggs just won't be fertilized.

Just be patient. If she's not laying yet, she will be soon. Then you'll have more eggs than you can keep track of. [​IMG]

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    My rooster Jean-Robert, now has a girlfriend named Ethel. She is ALWAYS around. He can't get rid of her. He finally gave in and did the deed with her. She apparently liked it cuz she's still right by his side.

He's a Cuckoo Marans. She's a SLW. They are gonna make some pretty babies together (if she ever starts laying either).

[​IMG] Awww, My Chickens Are In Love [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, that really has nothing to do with when they lay eggs. I have some 7 week old cockerels who are play-mating the girls right now. I know eggs are a looooooooong way off, LOL!

5. ab2401

ab2401 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Woodstock, AL
    Well they are older and have laid before... not with me but with the last owners

The Chicken Lady- I know... when you have both sexes do you get more eggs or is it the say either way?

I got them as a pair.....

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Most breeds lay one a day no matter what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by