Doing the ducky deed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kurtjackieprovost, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kurtjackieprovost

kurtjackieprovost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I apologize for the following strange question.[​IMG]

My drake is climbing on the backs of my females. [​IMG] They are 7 months old. [​IMG] I know this is how they mate, [​IMG] but what I don't know, is he accomplishing what he has set out to do? [​IMG] He climbs on her, she lifts her tail, he lowers his and then he hops off. [​IMG] Is that it? [​IMG]
    No flowers or cigarettes? [​IMG]

Do I have fertile eggs now?[​IMG] Some how I thought all this takes place in the spring and maybe Ollie is just practicing. [​IMG]
    Inquiring minds want to know. [​IMG]

Thanks.
    p.s. I love smilies.[​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    That's pretty much it. Then, he does a victory lap and she washes up.

She may not lay to spring as they are often seasonal ovulaters.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. kurtjackieprovost

kurtjackieprovost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    She is a Khaki and has been laying for two months now. I have four actually.

4. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    You might have fertile eggs, but they're safe to eat. Or, you can cook them and give them back to her as a treat.

5. KKeiC07

KKeiC07 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Graham, Wa
    Cook them and give them back??

Is that a healthy treat for them? Does it benefit them or do they just like the cooked egg?

I've never heard of anyone doing that!

6. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I know there are people who do that and mix it with their other treats. I think the ducks like it. I hope someone else can answer that and say how they cook them, etc. I know ducks like to eat them, that's for sure.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    That is how ducks copulate. It's impressive how much they can accomplish in such a short amount of time. It's even more impressive with chickens and other bird species where the male does not have a penis, but instead the male gets his backwards-facing vent/cloaca to meet with the hen's in a brief manuever called a cloacal kiss.

Male ducks do have a penis, and you may see it sometimes after he dismounts from the hen, it will look like a limp white noodle and will soon retract back into his body. It helps them transact business while they mate in the water, although ducks will also mate on dry land.

Sometimes it will seem the male is trying to drown the duck hen, he'll be astride her back and holding her head down below the water. But I have yet to see one expire that way. Sometimes a duck hen will mount another duck hen, it's their way of showing dominance and superiority.
    [​IMG] Keeping poultry is both fun AND educational!

8. KKeiC07

Dec 5, 2011
    Graham, Wa
    That is interesting! and it would be cool to hear from someone who has done that before!

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Duck eggs are deeeeelicious, especially in doughs or batters. They can be used the same way as chicken eggs, but their richness will add extra flavor and loft.

10. KKeiC07

Dec 5, 2011
    Graham, Wa
    I've eaten duck eggs before (yumm), but never heard of someone cooking them & feeding them back to the ducks....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by